How can this watch 'not exist'? Can anyone identify it?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eri231

Thread: How can this watch 'not exist'? Can anyone identify it?

How can this watch 'not exist'? Can anyone identify it?

I'm STUMPED! I'm trying to find info about a watch, and have spend about 7 hours on the internet trying to find out anything- but as far as I can tell, it doesn't exist. wait- I found 1 post that referred to THALCO being a common type of watch, but if that's the case, why can't I find anything else? I admit I know nothing about watches, and it's very possible I'm searching for the wrong thing. Does anyone recognize the name, style, etc?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How can this watch 'not exist'? Can anyone identify it?

Welcome to the forum. Stopwatches are a bit different from our normal timepieces and we don't see a lot of them here. I'm going to move this thread to our Vintage forum.
    Thalco appears to be a Swiss brand and there are a few of them on eBay from time to time.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by megansfolly View Post
    I'm STUMPED! I'm trying to find info about a watch, and have spend about 7 hours on the internet trying to find out anything- but as far as I can tell, it doesn't exist. wait- I found 1 post that referred to THALCO being a common type of watch, but if that's the case, why can't I find anything else? I admit I know nothing about watches, and it's very possible I'm searching for the wrong thing. Does anyone recognize the name, style, etc?
    It's not a watch but a fairly common stopwatch with a low or no jewel movement that probably dates back to the 1950's/1960's. Below is a link with some information on similar stopwatches.

Hero Components

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi. Its not a brand I know, but its mentioned here:

Hero Components

Ooops - too slow. John MS beat me to it.
    Last edited by Marrick; October 19th, 2010 at 22:18.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I did know that a stopwatch is different from a watch, but trying to research stopwatches was going nowhere. It's honestly not that important, I just feel cheated for putting so much time into this and STILL not knowing anything.
    I found the same link- which further confused me because it says Thalco (like Apollo) is a common type. Is Thalco the maker?

Is Thalco the maker?
    Yes. One of many manufacturers of stop watches.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I did know that a stopwatch is different from a watch, but trying to research stopwatches was going nowhere. It's honestly not that important, I just feel cheated for putting so much time into this and STILL not knowing anything.
    I found the same link- which further confused me because it says Thalco (like Apollo) is a common type. Is Thalco the maker?
    I suspect that Thalco and other sellers of stopwatches may have actually had their movements and possibly the entire watch made up by another company. Outsourcing is quite common in the watch business.

Mechanical pocket stopwatches were of course very common at sports events of all types prior to the quartz watch revolution of the 1970's. High school athletic departments had lots of moderately priced stopwatches that would have been similar to your Thalco. I'm sure there are collectors of stopwatches, so you might try using the Google search engine some more. For value you should search closed auctions on Ebay.
    Last edited by John MS; October 20th, 2010 at 14:50.

I may be more than three years late, but I just came across your post concerning a Thalco stop watch. This probably won't be of much help, but I have an identical watch to yours. It was given to me by my parents about fifty years ago. It still works, but there were entire decades when it didn't get used. Sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about the watch. Did you eventually learn anything about it?

There was a time before the Internet when information was only stored on paper.. later it was stored on microfiche.. so if an item is pre Internet there may be nothing on the Internet to find.. this may not be helpful in finding the information you are looking for.. but may explain the difficulty..

When I was teaching I had many discussions with students related to other sources of information and for the most part their response was why would you look anywhere other than on the net..

Very nice watch by the way.. and I trust that what I have said is accepted in the good way intended..
    Last edited by anzac1957; February 2nd, 2014 at 03:55.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

hello
    Thalco not a swiss company but Thalson company san francisco
    regards enrico
    Bidle likes this.

Thread Information