How to check year of this Eterna-Matic?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to check year of this Eterna-Matic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to check year of this Eterna-Matic?

Hi, I'm searching Swiss watch (Omega, Eterna, Longiness maybe...) from a year 1968 for my brother as a gift as he is turning 50 next year. Early bird one might say but I thought that finding a nice one for reasonable price might not be so easy.

Well anyhow on my crusade I came across with this nice Eterna Matic. Seller says that reference number is 4366121. Can anyone say from what year is it? I found this one list of Eterna numbers but it doesn't match at all... (http://www.wristchronology.com/watch-guide/serial-numbers-by-year-2/eterna-calibre-numbers/)

Any input is highly appreciated, Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Kaappikello; March 1st, 2017 at 16:03.

Re: How to check year of this Eterna-Matic?

You need the serial number from the movement, not the number on the case. Very thoughtful gift!
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I'm afraid I can't get the number from the movement but I will ask. So those case numbers don't tell manufacturing year or do they?

-J-

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kaappikello View Post
    I'm afraid I can't get the number from the movement but I will ask. So those case numbers don't tell manufacturing year or do they?

-J-
    They do and they don't.

Here's the serial numbers chart:
    Triple Time
    Scroll down and click the blue bar at the bottom of the page.

The number on the case is not a reference one, it's a serial as well- and follows the same code as the movement serials. According to the chart at schild-eterna.de, the case serial on your watch is for 1959. Which given the design of the watch seems entirely plausible. One thing you should know, is that in mass production a two-three years gap between the movement and the case (for example, the movement could well be from, say, 1961) is entirely possible, so you'll need to open it up (or if you haven't bought it, request pictures of the movement) anyway.

One thing that I find disturbing, is that it's a 1959 serial, and the dial has tritium lume....

So IMO, not only does it not date to 1968, but there is something that needs explaining- explaining that's impossible to do without the movement serial.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Ok, thanks for info. No, I haven't bought it. It's coming on sale in an auction nearby on friday...

I'll have to request the auction house if they could open it up and check the number. It was just my wishful thought that it might possible be from 1968 as I'm trying to find a nice watch from that exact year.

By the way, what did you mean about that tritium lume? Is it usually seen on newer watches or shouldn't there be any at all?

And thanks!

-J-

My point about tritium lume is that before 1960 it wasn't really used. Even Omega discontinued their last radium lume dials only circa 1962/63. So any tritium dial on a watch, which dates to before 1960, is uncanny to the point of being suspicious. There's an Eterna Centenaire from 1960 listed on another Eterna website, Eterna-Fanatic. The watch still has radium lume, so Eterna was still using it after the watch you've posted (and which has tritium lume) was made.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I agree with mkws - I have a couple of Eterna-Matic Centenaires from 1962 (both with case references beginning 45) which have radium lume so the 'T' markings on this dial are suspicious - plus the chapter ring is a style that is almost exclusively used on Centenaire models. The watch you are interested in isn't marked as such (but does have Centenaire style hands) so I'd suspect a redial. Here's one of mine to show what I mean:

Name:  a.JPG
Views: 1608
Size:  190.6 KB
    mkws likes this.

Mine looks to have lume on the dial also. Movement ser#4078138 I think dates it to about 1956?

Name:  2017-04-08 14.25.56.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  1.40 MB
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    Mine looks to have lume on the dial also. Movement ser#4078138 I think dates it to about 1956?

Name:  2017-04-08 14.25.56.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  1.40 MB
    Bad news- it's a redial. The font is pretty bad...
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Yea the minute markers aren't the best either. It was a $15 thrift store buy. Not gonna gripe too much about it. Lol
    LosAngelesTimer likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information