How does this Omega look?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 3 Post By busmatt
  • 3 Post By Habitant
  • 2 Post By mkws

Thread: How does this Omega look?

How does this Omega look?

I'm looking at this Omega online. The seller has said that the dial has been repainted which doesn't bother me, I assume that originally it probably wasn't a black dial either. I'm just not sure how to tell if they have done a good job of repainting the dial, could anyone please give me some advice?
    The other thing is, how can I make sure that this isn't a watch made of a few different watches put together?

The crown isn't original I don't think, but that's not a huge concern for me, I can get an omega crown if it really bothers me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How does this Omega look?

I just never trust someone that has the time to refinish a dial but doesn't do anything to the movement. It just looks like the movement may have just been cleaned of rust or corrosion.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Because it was cleaned from rust! The watch is listed on Chrono24:
    Omega RARE VINTAGE MENS OMEGA DE VILLE AUTOMATIC SWISS WRISTWATCH for $401 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

From India. This means, that this is a Bombay Special, and the fact that it is one means, that one should better stay away from these!
    They're obnoxious redials, that's the first thing.
    The second thing is, that it's not only a reworked dial, but a dial that NEVER EXISTED. They have no collectible value whatsoever, and really, there are tons of better pieces to find for 400 bucks.
    That said, it's a HORRIBLE redial job, and it is to be avoided.
    Habitant likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I have to agree, this watch never existed in this form. Good omegas are still out there for reasonable money, you just need to be patient

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    bobbee, Habitant and mkws like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Leaving aside the shared dislike there seems to be of the dial, it's worth drawing your attention to the rotor wear. The rotor, or automatic winding oscillating weight, has a big scour mark on it. This suggests that the bearing that suspends it is worn, and worn so much that the weight is rubbing against the inside of the case. Perhaps this has now been repaired and the mark is a legacy of a past condition; if not you're talking about a very expensive repair - a new oscillating weight for this movement (cal 711) is over $300 (part alone).

For that matter, the case looks cruddy, too. As others have said, you can find better.

One thing often repeated here is that you should buy the seller, not the goods. Look for a decent dealer who will stand behind what they do in a genuine way. I always suggest that people look outside eBay - most everyone is addicted to it, me too - because there really are good people out there, selling good, genuine stuff for reasonable prices. Really? Yep: the way eBay works is that much of whats on offer is offered without service - "working great" does not mean serviced - and once you've added up all the bits and pieces, you're at the cost the eBay piece will come up to. $400 should buy you a decent and honest Omega.
    busmatt, mkws and bobbee like this.

"Diverdresswatch" thats a really a bad example,unless its $50 or less, its really not worth your money.The case looks a bit like a gold plated chrome-replate suspect too.

True- it does look like one. The basic ref. ST 151.0039 was in stainless steel, so this watch can be two things (besides Bombay Special):
    Franken- case back from ref. MD 151.0039 (gold-plated), case from the ST variant, overpolished.
    Replated (as you've suggested)- a ref. MD 151.0039 with a case replated with chrome.

Either way, it's rubbish.
    bobbee and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

as others have said... 100% frankenwatch. run away.

Thread Information