How easy is it to find parts for a Polerouter?

Thread: How easy is it to find parts for a Polerouter?

How easy is it to find parts for a Polerouter?

Folks, I've planned to add a Polerouter to my collection for quite some time, and I may have a good opportunity to do so over the next few weeks. One question I'd like to throw out to those who have experience with these watches: How easy is it to track down parts? I poked around the internet a bit for replacement crystals, but didn't turn up much---has anyone found a good source for replacement crystals for the Polerouter? What about movement parts? I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who's replaced a part or two on their Polerouter. Thanks!

Re: How easy is it to find parts for a Polerouter?

General parts availability shouldn't be much of a problem, as there a plenty of "beater" watches on the market that could be used a donor pieces. Original crystals, OTOH are much more difficult to find. I was lucky to find mine with the original signed inverted cyclops crystal still in place.

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthisy'all View Post
    How easy is it to track down parts? I poked around the internet a bit for replacement crystals, but didn't turn up much---has anyone found a good source for replacement crystals for the Polerouter? What about movement parts?

I'll second jwalther's post. Jules Borel shows almost all of the major parts for the most common Polerouter calibers (215, 218 and 138SS) as available. They have no case reference listing, so there is no way to know if they have any OEM crystals without calling them. Universal was never that popular a brand in the USA, so I'm not sure if there was ever a true parts distribution system here when these watches were current.

I know of no one who routinely stocks the original signed crystals for Polerouters or for any Universal for that matter.

That's not to say that there isn't someone out there who bought out an old watchmaker's estate that was loaded with them. One never knows. Keep an eye on eBay.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies, both of which were re-assuring. Sounds like I'll be able to find what I need if I'm willing to wait long enough. Jwalther, the stainless steel Polerouter date w/ black dial is one of my favorites. Beautiful watch!

Quote Originally Posted by watchthisy'all View Post
    Thanks for the replies, both of which were re-assuring. Sounds like I'll be able to find what I need if I'm willing to wait long enough. Jwalther, the stainless steel Polerouter date w/ black dial is one of my favorites. Beautiful watch!
    Thanks!

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Thread Information