how good is a benrus Sky Chief reletive to other period/brand chronographs?

Thread: how good is a benrus Sky Chief reletive to other period/brand chronographs?

how good is a benrus Sky Chief reletive to other period/brand chronographs?

[**sorry** thought i was in the vintage pw forum-not dive f. Mod can move this if he sees fit and I can't. Didnt mean to post about a 'dive bombers' watch instead.]

After lusting after a black(maybe even brownish) dial w/SS Sky Chief around 2005 (after seeing the 'B' hollywood teen thriller : Hot Rod Rumble or Hollywood Rumble where the watch featured prominently on Gene Vincents wrist) I finally got over it when I found Omega and the SpMs. But now I have an opportunity to pick one up at a fair-but not cheap-price and cant decide if its still worth all the fuss. Seller is sending me info on what other skyCs DID sell for a 2yrs ago. but now is now

So-my question is other than style and panache and the connection to fighter planes-how does the Sky Chief stack up against other comparable chronographs from the same period from some of the finer names in chronographs like Lemania, Omega, Heuer, Valj. etc? Is the sky chief just okay with a lot of show? Or is it a substantial piece of watchmaking history? I have over a week to figure it out so I'm not sweatin' bullets.
    Last edited by DaBaeker; November 15th, 2010 at 08:11.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Banned

Re: how good is a benrus Sky Chief reletive to other period/brand chronographs?

Yes, it is a great watch - and the only chronograph Benrus ever made to my knowledge. They used two movements - a Valjoux 72 and a Venus 175. The Valjoux is the more desirable of the two, but you should grab that watch either way. It's the Holy Grail to a Benrus collector, and a relative bargain when compared to some other pieces from that era with the same movement inside (Breitling, Rolex, etc). I know a few collectors that have purchased very nice examples between $1100 - $1500 depending on just how good the condition was.

Thread Information