HOW HOT IS TOO HOT FOR A VINTAGE PLEXI

Thread: HOW HOT IS TOO HOT FOR A VINTAGE PLEXI

R-H

HOW HOT IS TOO HOT FOR A VINTAGE PLEXI

With temperatures rising here in the desert, I had my digital thermometer out yesterday testing the temperature of things outside, first the asphalt 154 F. average, next was the plastic grill on my work truck 189.7F, the truck had not ran all day, this reading was from just sitting in the sun. The temperature outside when the photos were taken was 113 F. the high of the day was 115 F. with a high of 117 F. for Sunday, the hottest I've seen it in the thirteen years I've lived here is 126 F. I look down at my 1967 Rolex 5513 and thought at what temperature could the plexiglass / acrylic crystal be damaged, what I found was plexiglass melts at about 310 F. but softens and bends just above 200 F. so if someone was to remove their vintage plexi watch and say set it on the dash board of their car for some reason on one of these days, then pick their watch up and your thumb pushes that plexi right into the dial, that would make for a bad day. What's your thoughts if this could happen?

YOU CAN TELL WHEN SUMMER HAS COME TO THE DESERT, WHEN YOU SEE SATAN GOING TO THE AIRPORT WITH HIS BAGS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by R-H; August 16th, 2015 at 01:18. Reason: Posted to quick

Re: HOW HOT IS TO HOT FOR A VINTAGE PLEXI

Right there with you buddy! I'm only 23 miles from the coast, and it hit 106 degrees here today. Not as bad as your temps, but we lost power from Edison 5 times in 2 hours!

Sucks to be us!
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

R-H

Quote Originally Posted by simpletreasures View Post
    Right there with you buddy! I'm only 23 miles from the coast, and it hit 106 degrees here today. Not as bad as your temps, but we lost power from Edison 5 times in 2 hours!

Sucks to be us!
    I almost got in the car and headed west this morning, but for the few degrees difference in temperature, I didn't think it was worth the tank of gas. I was in Huntington Beach for training last Sun., Mon. and Tues. and the weather was beautiful.
    Well enjoy the heat wave, at least we don't have to shovel snow 6 month of the year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by R-H View Post
    I almost got in the car and headed west this morning, but for the few degrees difference in temperature, I didn't think it was worth the tank of gas. I was in Huntington Beach for training last Sun., Mon. and Tues. and the weather was beautiful.
    Well enjoy the heat wave, at least we don't have to shovel snow 6 month of the year.
    I'll take your Palm Desert dry heat any day over the 90deg+ heat and 85% humidity out here on the east coast. But the thought of imprinting my vintage GMT with a thumbprint ID is not a feature of desert heat I like to think about.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I forgot to ad that I don't personally know one serious watch collector that "put his watch on the dashboard" of any car!

Except possibly, John Mayer!
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

Re: HOW HOT IS TOO HOT FOR A VINTAGE PLEXI

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by R-H View Post
    ...and your thumb pushes that plexi right into the dial
    Why worry about crystal and dial, after the heat has boiled you and your thumb?

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information