How much can be fixed before the clock is not original anymore?

Thread: How much can be fixed before the clock is not original anymore?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Inactive

Seeing that it is part repainted watches on ebay, and many put new parts in the clock.

Re: How much can be fixed before the clock is not original anymore?

In my opinion after any normal service the watch will still be original. By service I mean cleaning, oiling, adjusting, and changing mechanical parts that are supposed to be a consumable. For a pocketwatch 100 years and older the mainspring is a consumable, and will need to be replaced when it fails. A broken staff is a consumable, or will be after rough handling. The crystal is a consumable.

What are not consumables: Dial, movement with all original plates and wheels. Cases are not consumables if the case was original from manufacturer. If the case was sold separately at purchase (common for older pocketwatches) it is a whole other (and sometimes heated) discussion, involving whether it has different screw casemarks or it is from a wrong period. Keep the case unless you know what you are doing. Unless you might destroy the value. For wristwatches leather bands are consumables.
    Last edited by Erik_H; November 16th, 2010 at 18:04.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

To this day, I have not seen any perfect redial. I have seen horrible examples and nice ones, but none that was a 1:1 copy of the original. The latter, I would accept. An oldtimer car does also get a paint job, if required...

About changing parts, Erik is right - spare parts are ok (also wheels, parts of the automatic train, crowns and stems, maybe a complete balance), but not a whole movement. But this really varies, and there is a constant discussion about it. Omega for example has a good vintage service. You send them a beaten up Seamaster, and You get back something that virtually looks like it just came from the shelf. Some like it, some call it a zombie. I prefer some patina and wear to a NOS watch even, because I just like it that way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Changing the complete balance with the bridge will make the watch not original. Older bridges will have serial number underneath, newer may have different finish and appearance. If these are changed, it will be considered a switched movement and not original.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I was repairing a waltham 1883 last week and noticed it had the last 4 digits of the serial number scribed lightly underneath one of the balance arms. I found that interesting, as I have not previously seen a serial number on the balance itself - cock yes, balance no. In this case, I would say you'd have to keep the balance. In most other cases (not incl the cock or other bridges) you'd be hard pressed to tell.

Originality is always a contentious topic, people are all over the spectrum opinion wise on it.

Personally any watch that has been used and performed the role for which it was intended will have had major (working) parts (staff, jewels, springs, arbors, barrels, chains, wheels - particularly the second wheel) replaced to keep it in service. I think it is crazy to argue that a watch that has performed its job for a lifetime is somehow less worthy than one that has sat unused in a draw. Historical interest should not just be in the time capsule preservation of artifacts, but also a celebration of their use.

I prefer an honest watch.

QED.
    Last edited by trim; November 16th, 2010 at 21:14.

Originality is a Gray-scale more then a black and white issue. But a lot of "originality" is here-say, so in many cases its simply a matter of "does it <look> original". An otherwise original Omega Speedmaster with an aftermarket band isn't going to raise any eyebrows. But the same watch <with> the original band is liable to fetch more money. And if you have the original box, sales receipt and repair receipts....
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned

A redial using a manufacturer original part is OK for me.
    Or if no NOS part exist, a refinish by the Manufacturer is also OK, IMO.

Some crystals have a mark on them e.g. Eterna marks their crystals with their five ball bearing logo. In my opinion if the crystal is replaced with one without the logo it's not original.
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Only some (depends on the year). Seiko does that too. I supposed it helps demonstrate that the watch is "original", even if the reason they do it is to make more money by forcing owners to use "authorized" (and overpriced) repair centers.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

What is funny is people fitting manufacturer signed crystals to watches that never had them in the first place - all in the pursuit of originality.
    Last edited by trim; November 22nd, 2010 at 00:03.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information