How much should I pay for this?

Thread: How much should I pay for this?

How much should I pay for this?

This is a lovely Longines that I saw today in a very reputable dealer in central London. I know that it, or one like it, came up for sale in November and made about a quarter of what is being asked for it today. Since then it has been thoroughly overhauled. The dealer is certain that if it isn't sold soon it will be sold at one of the major fairs. I want it, but at £4500 it's a lot. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How much should I pay for this?

Sorry. This one is way out of my league and I wouldn't have a clue how to answer your question. It's worth whatever somebody will pay I suppose.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Me too, Ray. That Longines costs 10x to 100x my vintage wanderings!
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Tough call.

As Ray has said: it's worth whatever someone will pay.

On the one hand, it's an absolutely gorgeous example of a fairly rare watch, and if it has indeed been completely overhauled (i.e. like new) then it is eminently collectible.

On the other hand, 4500 quid is a whole lot of money.

The problem that we vintage collectors have is something I call the wholesale/retail problem. As collectors we all want to pay wholesale for the watches we so desire: we want to pay for what the watch is worth, so to speak. That's the price that we, as collectors, can easily see paying: at 1000 quid, that'd be a watch I'd seriously contemplate, and I'm an absolutely notorious tightwad when it comes to buying vintages (my most expensive vintage watch is around 150 pounds, a Gruen PanAm). I've sincerely regretted having not picked up a couple of watches in the higher price bracket, as they have either disappeared completely or later gone for significantly more: I was offered one of the RAF Omegas 3 years ago for 780 pound and I turned that one down, only to see the exact same watch - there was a blemish on the dial that made it easily identifiable - be picked up by a retailer and have it sold for no less than 1400 pounds.

But watches like this Longines are so rare that they more often than not, once they enter the retail channel, go for what the market will bear. A dealer has the better connections to wealthier collectors, having either built up a clientel or simply provides them the services that they need (such as overhauling the watch and making all necessary repairs, etc.).

I wish I could help you more on whether it's worth the price: I'm afraid I don't know the Longines line well enough to give you better advice.

JohnF

PS: obviously, if you can afford it and really want to have it, go for it. But as always: caveat emptor, and at that price range I think you'd be able to stipulate that the sale would be completed first when a qualified watchmaker were to inspect it, unless, of course, you trust the dealer implicitly. But, again, I do not know enough about Longines to help you in seeing if that is a fair price. If it does go to auction, you'd find out. Perhaps that might be the best way of determining that?
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks for your replies. I'm not certain but I think it's just too much, and I'm going to pass on it. Although....thinking again....I could always stick it on the mortgage.

The watch is a beauty, I suppose that very rare, I have never seen such Longines, and all that. But such a lot of money I would never pay. You will see as the watch is not sold, if it were a good price it would disappear. Cheers

Hi there,

Beautiful watch, very rare, however, lets see what you will be purchasing

1. a nice high end (for that era) brand with a machine made, hand finished valjoux 72 or its derivative. (you can tell by the pusher distance relative to the crown)
    2. stainless steel case
    3. interesting rare time zone bezel (but maybe there are more as no one knows at this time what the production number was).

Intrinsically, not more than 700 pounds in a non named version. Now the hard part, to the correct collector, what he is willing to pay. For that much, I would need the provenance (history) of the watch, who owned it, what it was made for (aviation, military contract watch), production numbers and etc. Longines would probably help if they have records for it.

I know that Longines made their own chronograph movements and by shear numbers would be rarer then the Valjoux 72 ebauche depicted.

Here is a case in point:

Glycine Airman Chronograph, only 100 made in 1967 (as stated by Glycine records). Only 3 maybe, four have been found.

1. Movement, valjoux 724
    2. Case stainless
    3. For pilots with internal bezel
    4. Value, purchased in sad shape for 1200USD

Presently restored to original. Glycine offered an owner any Glycine extant chronograph in trade as they did not have this model in their own museum; a value of 5000 USD.

Value today, find the correct collector, but I would say around 5000 USD because a precedent has been set by Glycine and it is guaranteed to be rare according to the production numbers. You have to ask yourself is this my watch or an investment, like great art, it appeals to the owner, someone would not give it a second thought, someone else might.

Probably doesn't help but there we are!

Cheers, Geoff

Here's a straight answer: Nice watch, very nice watch, even, but simply not worth 4500 squid...
    Let's face it: it looks like an old Sinn or even Ollech and Wajs chronograph, or even... It looks like an awful lot of other things. Rare, but not rare enough for that kind of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by copywriter View Post
    This is a lovely Longines that I saw today in a very reputable dealer in central London. I know that it, or one like it, came up for sale in November and made about a quarter of what is being asked for it today. Since then it has been thoroughly overhauled. The dealer is certain that if it isn't sold soon it will be sold at one of the major fairs. I want it, but at £4500 it's a lot. What do you think?

Thread Information