How old does a watch have to be before it's considered vintage?
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: How old does a watch have to be before it's considered vintage?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How old does a watch have to be before it's considered vintage?

This is a general discussion question I was wondering about. How old does a watch have to be before it's considered vintage? Is it 20year? 25years? What are your thoughts.

Re: How old does a watch have to be before it's considered vintage?

No older than about 75 years and ceased production, I would think.

A watch that is 75-100 years or older would be antique.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Generally, I consider vintage to be anything older than the average poster on WUS.

That puts into the 60's and 70's
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The definition varys with each individual, I think your safe on anything prior to 1980 is vintage, and anything after 1990 is current era. When you get into the 80's it gets dicey. Another way of looking at it is pre and post Swatch which would be 1983.

30 years +.

Hi -

Consider this: there are some wines that should be drunk today, others that stand the test of time and become truly marvelous as they age. Others turn into undrinkable swill that can't even be turned into vinegar.

The same is true of watches.

Given the etymology of the world "vintage" (mid-15c., "harvest of grapes, yield of wine from a vineyard," from Anglo-Fr. vintage (mid-14c.), from O.Fr. vendage "yield from a vineyard," from L. vindemia "a gathering of grapes, yield of grapes," from comb. form of vinum "wine" + stem of demere "take off" (from de- "from, away from" + emere "to take"). Sense shifted to "age or year of a particular wine" (1746), then to a general sense of "being of an earlier time" (1883). Used of cars since 1928), let us just say that a vintage watch is of an earlier time.

Seriously, if the watch is no longer in production AND that has been the case (no pun intended) for more than 15 years, I would generically consider it a vintage watch. Perhaps not an older vintage, but nonetheless: out of production and old enough that it is no longer in the supply chain except for those watchmakers who can't sell their watches worth a darn, are lousy businessmen and who supply the rest of us with NOS watches when the go out of business or retire.

As of today, that sets the date of entry to a vintage watch to...1995! Ye gods, I feel old... :oops:

That means that an early swatch (introduced 1983) could be considered vintage. Did you know that the swatch grew out of work by some watchmakers on using the case back as the main plate for a mechanical watch in order to reduce manufacturing costs? Sort of makes sense when you think about it...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Generally, I consider vintage to be anything older than the average poster on WUS.
    Good thing you didn't say maturity level of the average poster in the Public Forum.
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Well, I used to collect vintage and antique telephones and belonged to a vintage car club. We used to say Vintage was 25 years old or older and Antique was 50 years old or older. That said, I was scolded in an Antique shop by a proprietor who insisted Antiques must be a minimum of 100 years old. He also told me there was no such thing as an antique phone. I never did get to show him my 1895 Ericsson.
    Regardless, I kind of draw the line of vintage at Swatch, ie, 1983, as mentioned already.

Made before 1958 = Vintage
    Made after 1959 = Pre-owned

I go by that because I don't consider myself "vintage" yet, so it's gotta be older than I am to be vintage. LOL.

Kidding aside, I use 1970 as my year of demarcation between vintage and pre-owned, but I also flex that a bit if the styling of the watch in question just looks like it came from a totally different era than do watches made today. For example, Rolex Oysters from the 1980s look enough like the ones made now that I don't think of them as vintage, but some of the Cellinis are clearly of a different time.

This watch is from the 1980s, but I'd call it vintage even though it was made after 1970.

This watch is a 1930s Art Deco model, and I'd call it vintage too, but I don't think it'd look "vintage" were I to wearing it right now. The size would make it so, but that's it.

And here's a Submariner from the 1980s and a Datejust from the 1960s, and I would call both pre-owned.

All the best.

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Hi there,

wow, more opinions than posts. Now I know at least why I don't use this junk term for anything. The only rigid definition is: Vintage is a varying premium on the market price, while old is a varying discount.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    tony20009, busmatt and Sdasurrey like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information