How old little Gruen?

Thread: How old little Gruen?

How old little Gruen?

As p.w. Gruen collector I know very little about the w.w. I like this 10&1/2 ligne 15j adj.
    Marked Gruen case, dial, and movement, and Watch Specialties. Old Gruen mark is DG&s.
    Did W. Spec. division start with w.w. and when? Is this one about 1910? Shown with 16s glass back case Columbus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How old little Gruen?

Hi Art,

guild branding came in 1918. They already had a full range of WW at this time. I think this means yours likely predates. I have to check my other book (later).

Re: How old little Gruen?

OK, I dug out Shawkey's book. He states (pre Gruen guild 1918) the outsourced wristwatch movements (incl watch specialties) were 1915-1918. He says the source of many of these movements were Rebberg Watch Co (Aegler). This of course applies to wrist watches. Shawkey also mentions advertising of mens models as early as 1908 - although, this was not a success, he does not mention if these were the same outsourced movements from 1915-18.

I don't recognise the movement you have, but we can say with confidence - it falls somewhere between 1908 and 1918. However, I personally think it was most likely contemporary with those early wrist watches, so 1915-18. No evidence, just a hunch.

Cheers,

Kris.

Thread Information