How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion - Page 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion

I suspect that due to your frustration you are going to end up badly damaging the watch.

Firstly do NOT lay the watch in the palm of your hand and try opening the back by pushing down and turning. Hold the watch by the lugs and very very gently grip the side if back cover to turn. Pressing down just forces the back tighter. It should be a gentle grip on the sides so as not to tighten the back (squeezing) it into the case.

I doubt any jeweler would charge to open it, but for 10 or 15 £ its better than your frustration
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I suspect that due to your frustration you are going to end up badly damaging the watch.

Firstly do NOT lay the watch in the palm of your hand and try opening the back by pushing down and turning. Hold the watch by the lugs and very very gently grip the side if back cover to turn. Pressing down just forces the back tighter. It should be a gentle grip on the sides so as not to tighten the back (squeezing) it into the case.

I doubt any jeweler would charge to open it, but for 10 or 15 £ its better than your frustration
    Regards

Others have said not to grip the sides as it warps it and makes it impossible to remove...
    Either way, that was the most obvious method for me and I tried it first to no avail :/

I guess what I'm confused about is what differently will a watchmaker do to get it off? Is there a tool I can get?
    I'd like to know how to do this for the future, that's all

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    Others have said not to grip the sides as it warps it and makes it impossible to remove...
    Either way, that was the most obvious method for me and I tried it first to no avail :/
    as I explained is what you should try, if you are truly holding the watch by the lugs, then the front bezel should not be turning.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

I told you the ttools ball

and
    Adam

It's hard to see, but where the crown is attached to the watch, it looks like the joint/solder goes over the break in the back where the case should screw off...could this be the problem? why would this be?

If the crown turns it can not be attached.
    The stem of the crown might.
    If that is the case, then the movement comes out from the front.
    Please give me a link to sellers site

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    If the crown turns it can not be attached.
    The stem of the crown might.
    If that is the case, then the movement comes out from the front.
    Please give me a link to sellers site
    The stem of the crown is what I meant.
    The seller is an ebay seller who doesn't usually sell watches so they really aren't any help.

Ah, maybe the Ukrainian Watch Munging Company superglued it together to get a problem case out the door. These are actually awful conglomerations. (The Elgin logo on the dial is amusing.)

To have built this they had to have the back off. So it is not fused by time. And all these are recent builds.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It doesn't look like the crown or stem tube is the problem. But Eeeb is right. It wouldn't be the first time that a case back has been superglued on to prevent the buyer from discovering the truth about what they have bought. However having had this problem myself with screwbacks it may be just technique which is the problem and a sympathetic watchmaker may be your answer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information