How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion - Page 4
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Ah, maybe the Ukrainian Watch Munging Company superglued it together to get a problem case out the door. These are actually awful conglomerations. (The Elgin logo on the dial is amusing.)

To have built this they had to have the back off. So it is not fused by time. And all these are recent builds.
    Well, like I said, I bought it knowing it was a redial.
    The avigo is my favorite watch, so I just liked the made up wing logo. (it's actually not that farfetched, there was an actual wristwatch dial in the 30s that had a similar logo. I've seen several originals)

Anyway, the whole "Ukrainian rebuild" thing is odd to me.
    I have never ever seen another one like this or even similar. So if they are doing super limited reproduction dials, it still has to take a good deal of time to create these and they are somewhat unique in their own right.
    (In my opinion at least).

The seller agreed to give me a partial refund based on a few things I've said here (and a few others)

So the watch will cost under $100. To have a mechanical watch no one else has (even though it's fake) that keeps perfect time is worth that to me.

But I still wish I could get in that case!
    The fact that it just isn't that special of a watch makes me not want to have to spend money or even take it anywhere...that's why I'm being stubborn

If you like the watch, that is good enough for me and I suspect others.
    What it is not, is an ELGIN watch in any way, size or form.
    I think you could have had that similar logo by buying an original Elgin Pershing

Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    Anyway, the whole "Ukrainian rebuild" thing is odd to me.
    I have never ever seen another one like this or even similar. So if they are doing super limited reproduction dials, it still has to take a good deal of time to create these and they are somewhat unique in their own right.
    (In my opinion at least).
    I suspect you overestimate both computer design time and labour rates in the Ukraine. I doubt it takes very long at all and likely costs just a very few dollars to do. So take a $20 pocket watch, spend $5 redialling, another $10 to weld lugs on and I make that a $35 watch. Given that these tend to sell for upwards of $350 means a nice profit for the watchmakers and I'm sure you can see why they do it. Someone likely made a big loss on selling this to you or the person you bought it from. But still I'm not sure that $100 for a $35 watch is much of a bargain - eBay is rammed full of genuine original wristwatches for less than $100.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I suspect you overestimate both computer design time and labour rates in the Ukraine. I doubt it takes very long at all and likely costs just a very few dollars to do. So take a $20 pocket watch, spend $5 redialling, another $10 to weld lugs on and I make that a $35 watch. Given that these tend to sell for upwards of $350 means a nice profit for the watchmakers and I'm sure you can see why they do it. Someone likely made a big loss on selling this to you or the person you bought it from. But still I'm not sure that $100 for a $35 watch is much of a bargain - eBay is rammed full of genuine original wristwatches for less than $100.
    Personally, I think if the OP likes his watch and he did ONLY come here for advice on how to open it.
    Then is it really for us to pass judgement on a bargain or not.
    He knows what he has and thats fine

A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Here is my 1914 ELGIN PERSHING

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Personally, I think if the OP likes his watch and he did ONLY come here for advice on how to open it.
    Then is it really for us to pass judgement on a bargain or not.
    He knows what he has and thats fine

A
    Thank you!

If you like the watch, that is good enough for me and I suspect others.
    What it is not, is an ELGIN watch in any way, size or form.
    I think you could have had that similar logo by buying an original Elgin Pershing

Regards
    adam
    Well, that's not true. I can't open it so I don't know if it's an elgin or not

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I'm not overestimating anything.
    I'm a graphic designer and I wouldn't design this watch for under $150 if someone gave it to me. I understand Ukraine rates are different.
    But the design time, paired with whatever they have to do to put it on a dial, buying an old watch, servicing it so it has perfect time (which locally here costs $150 itself) and then putting it all together with a NOS lizard strap (the same one sells for $50 on ebay)...seems worth it especially since I like the design they have on the front.

I'm not trying to justify it all, because I bought it because I wanted it....and again, I just wanted to learn how to get that back off....not have the fact that this is a redial reiterated over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    Well, that's not true. I can't open it so I don't know if it's an elgin or not
    well to us 'purists' a watch manufacturer is not just governed by the movement and I suspect you have an Elgin movement. We want the watch to be exactly as it was when originally made.
    Any degradation, is just part of time (ageing process).
    RFe - worked dials, or hands are not correct to us.
    Marriage and Franken watch (like yours is) are completely taboo.

That said, its just our opinion, and lots of people buy and love these 'things'

Regards

and
    Adam

well to us 'purists' a watch manufacturer is not just governed by the movement and I suspect you have an Elgin movement. We want the watch to be exactly as it was when originally made.
    Any degradation, is just part of time (ageing process).
    RFe - worked dials, or hands are not correct to us.
    Marriage and Franken watch (like yours is) are completely taboo.

That said, its just our opinion, and lots of people buy and love these 'things'

Regards

Usually I am in this same boat. I have over 10 100% original elgins from 1930 and before.
    Like I said, my favorite watch is the elgin avigo and I am a complete purist when it comes to that.

For some reason this one caught my...don't even really know why haha.

Just gotta get this stupid back off for some peace of mind!
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information