How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion

Hi guys.
    Very new to watches.
    I bought this watch on a whim without knowing much about it.
    When I got it I realized it was a larger pocket watch conversion (didn't know this when I bought it).
    The case measure 2.5" with the crown.

I do not own any other pocket watches. I want to take the back off to make sure this is an actual elgin movement but I have no idea how to do so.
    Is this something that is relatively easy or no?

Thanks guys!

(I have never really taken apart any watch)

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  804.4 KB
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  691.5 KB
    Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  454.9 KB
    Last edited by dotdotdot; July 2nd, 2013 at 01:56.

Re: How to remove the back of this elgin pocket watch converstion

I suspect this one just unscrews!

The dial is a modern redial.

The watch was probably produced in the Ukranian Watch Munging Collective for sale to unknowing eBay buyers.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I suspect this one just unscrews!

The dial is a modern redial.

The watch was probably produced in the Ukranian Watch Munging Collective for sale to unknowing eBay buyers.
    I can spin off the crystal but I can't spin off the back ro see the movement with my bare hands...is there a trick other than turning? (it's hard to get a grip)

I assumed the dial was a redial, but it's a redial I like.
    I probably overpaid but oh well. It was under $200 and the watch runs and keeps time perfectly.

Do you think the movement is original?
    Last edited by dotdotdot; July 2nd, 2013 at 03:17.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    I can spin off the crystal but I can't spin off the back ro see the movement with my bare hands...is there a trick other than turning? (it's hard to get a grip)

Do you think the movement is original?
    IF the case were original it is a screw off case. But the case was made in the Ukraine from who knows what?

Is it an Elgin movement? We have no data until the movement can be exposed. But 'original' implies original to something and there is very little original in this timepiece.

I note low jeweled ladies Elgins in original case with original dials go for as low as $35. I bet you can get a jeweler to solder on wire lugs for a lot less than $165... So the Ukranians did you no favors.

But it is not my watch; it's yours. If you are happy that's good enough.
    Last edited by Eeeb; July 2nd, 2013 at 05:19.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    IF the case were original it is a screw off case. But the case was made in the Ukraine from who knows what?

Is it an Elgin movement? We have no data until the movement can be exposed. But 'original' implies original to something and there is very little original in this timepiece.

I note low jeweled ladies Elgins in original case with original dials go for as low as $35. I bet you can get a jeweler to solder on wire lugs for a lot less than $165... So the Ukranians did you no favors.

But it is not my watch; it's yours. If you are happy that's good enough.
    I get the point it's a redial...wasn't really the point of my original question.
    Any help on a way to unscrew it if it isn't easy by hand? If I put it in the palm of my hand and twist only the crystal side comes loose. Is the back supposed to as well?
    I tried to put some tape between my hand and the watch as well to get some traction but I still could not get it off. There is no lip or anything I can see so I am assuming it is a screw off.

I've seen the redials but I've never seen them go through the effort to re-create entire movements and cases...what would be the point? It would cost more to make them than to just use originals...which is why I was assuming this was an original.
    Last edited by dotdotdot; July 2nd, 2013 at 05:50.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
    I've seen the redials but I've never seen them go through the effort to re-create entire movements and cases...what would be the point? It would cost more to make them than to just use originals...which is why I was assuming this was an original.
    I think that Eeeb was agreeing with your original question - yes it's an original pocket watch with lugs added and a redial - so it's original. But until the back come off the assumption that that the original watch was an Elgin is just that - an assumption. Were there no movement photos when you bought it?

I would tend to agree that it's likely to be a spin off which is on very tight. Still though it is worth a close inspection under magnification all the way round just to check that there isn't a slot to unclip it.

Usually if it is a screw back case it should unscrew anti-clockwise quite easily, if not there are some nifty gadgets to help (a rubber ball).

This watch could have a two piece case now, where ONLY the front unscrews and the movement comes out from the front. Can you definitely see a 'gap' between back cover and case.
    Why not email the seller and ask if back was screw on or snap on? I can not see any gap in your pictures making me suspect two piece case

Did you not get pictures of movement from seller??
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I can not see any gap in your pictures making me suspect two piece case
    Have a look at the photo that looks down on the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Have a look at the photo that looks down on the crown.
    Yes agreed
    So either snap on or screw?
    asking seller may be safest way.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Yes agreed
    So either snap on or screw?
    asking seller may be safest way.

The seller knew very little about the watch. He never had the back off, so he didn't have any photos of the movement unfortunately. I'm a little upset with the seller but that's besides the point. I really just want to see the movement.

I am going to buy one of those rubber jar openers today to see if that helps.

If it's a snap on there should be a little slot or opening along the gap correct?

thanks guys!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information