How to see movement of old watch?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By afremont
  • 2 Post By MX793
  • 1 Post By SethThomas
  • 4 Post By HamiltonElectric

Thread: How to see movement of old watch?

How to see movement of old watch?

Hi! I pried open this 1940's Hamilton to see the movement, but as soon as I pried open, only the top part of the case was removed as you see in the photo.

How can I see the movement? Is the movement accessed through the front? I read that with pocket watches there are hunter-cased which I believe the movements are accessed via the dial; I wonder if this Hamilton's movement is accessed in a similar way?

I am guessing there must be an easy solution..relatively new to these watches! Thanks!

Re: How to see movement of old watch?

Does the stem go through a hole, or is there only a notch there? If it's just a notch, I'd say the movement was simply stuck.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by afremont View Post
    Does the stem go through a hole, or is there only a notch there? If it's just a notch, I'd say the movement was simply stuck.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    I wonder if this is the hole you are referring to?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like the case back may be clipped or friction-fit to the movement main plate. Have you tried gently prying the case back from the movement? Looks like there may be a slot to insert a pry tool just below the 5.
    afremont and rfortson like this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

It is a friction fit into the case. Simply holding the case back at 4 and 9 and gently rucking the movement out by crown/stem usually works. If it is really stuck, then try a pry tool like MX793 said
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Thanks everyone! I was able to pry it open just under 5-6 o'clock! The 982 movement looks lovely.

As you see the pictures of the dial, the dial is pretty beat up. In theory, if I buy on Ebay any 982 dial/movement (those that are sold for parts/repair on Ebay) or just buy any 982 Hamilton dial; would those 982 dials fit this movement and the case? And would it be considered a frankewatch if I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by athens View Post
    Thanks everyone! I was able to pry it open just under 5-6 o'clock! The 982 movement looks lovely.

As you see the pictures of the dial, the dial is pretty beat up. In theory, if I buy on Ebay any 982 dial/movement (those that are sold for parts/repair on Ebay) or just buy any 982 Hamilton dial; would those 982 dials fit this movement and the case? And would it be considered a frankewatch if I do this?
    Your dial is in very decent shape. Just very dirty. You can easily have it cleaned or even fully restored if you like the watch enough.

Or you can give it a whirl yourself:

https://watchguy.co.uk/cleaning-and-...nish-on-dials/

I have had success with a simple polish. But I had no letters or number tracks to preserve:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/be...t-4559283.html

The 982 movement was used in hundreds of models of various size and shape. You would have to find the dial for that exact model line (which someone may know the line name). Unlikely given that the average ebay seller would not know model names either. As a rectangular dial, there is an off chance you can find one similar enough in size if you really wanted.

Yes switching dials out is considered a frenken watch... Some people really care about this. On particularly unimportant/ inexpensive watches, I say do what you like. Full disclosure of interchanged parts should be disclosed if you want to re-sell.
    rfortson likes this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Quote Originally Posted by SethThomas View Post
    Your dial is in very decent shape. Just very dirty. You can easily have it cleaned or even fully restored if you like the watch enough.

Or you can give it a whirl yourself:

https://watchguy.co.uk/cleaning-and-...nish-on-dials/

I have had success with a simple polish. But I had no letters or number tracks to preserve:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/be...t-4559283.html

The 982 movement was used in hundreds of models of various size and shape. You would have to find the dial for that exact model line (which someone may know the line name). Unlikely given that the average ebay seller would not know model names either. As a rectangular dial, there is an off chance you can find one similar enough in size if you really wanted.

Yes switching dials out is considered a frenken watch... Some people really care about this. On particularly unimportant/ inexpensive watches, I say do what you like. Full disclosure of interchanged parts should be disclosed if you want to re-sell.
    I think I will keep the original dial then! Nice work on that Benrus!

Your watch is called a "Perry," first catalogued in 1948.

Obviously you figured out how to get the movement out. This must be done carefully because the escape wheel in the 982 is at the bottom edge of the movement and can easily be broken if someone attempts to pry the movement out of the case from the bottom. I've seen far too many escape wheels broken this way, and replacements are hard to find.

Any 982 dial will fit to the movement, but only the Perry dial will fit the case. The 982 was used in a lot of different case designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Thread Information