How to wear a pocket watch ...
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By river rat

Thread: How to wear a pocket watch ...

How to wear a pocket watch ...

How do you wear a pocket watch such that it does not get scratch by the chain?

Re: How to wear a pocket watch ...

By your question, I'm assuming that you're wearing your watch in a fairly large pocket. You should find pants that have a dedicated watch pocket inside the pant pocket. Jeans usually have ideal pockets, except that they aren't really big enough for 16 or 18 size watches, but my 12s fit perfectly, and the bow just peeks out the top, allowing the chain to hang against the pocket material.

I do have a couple pair of docker-type pants that don't have a proper pocket, and for those I usually wear a larger watch with a chain that attaches to my belt. I move it along the belt enough to take up the slack. Not ideal, but better then scratching the watch.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Depending on the trousers and jeans, some do actually have pockets large enough to fit big watches. I have a 16-size railroad watch that fits into some of my watch-pockets.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If my pocket watch doesn't fit comfortably in my pocket, I use a leather watch belt holder. I also have several types of chains (link, box setting, etc) including a braided leather chain.
    LEX ET ORDO

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I only ever wear it inside a waistcoat (very rarely in the breast pocket of a jacket) with the chain dangling entirely outside. My old prof at college had a small quartz PW which he kept in his watch pocket in his trousers and he also had the chain (attached to his belt) dangling entirely outside the pocket.

Hartmut Richter

Well, there are several ways to wear a pocket watch. I have an article about that on my website, although in german language, but with some nice photos:

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php/214

Just scroll down a little bit...

Regards, Andreas

NIce set of pics... I'm glad someone went to the trouble of reminding us of what our grandfathers 'just knew'.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

These photos are most helpful. Thank you.

I use that little extra pocket on my levi's it's small anough for a pocket watch and use a watch fob with a leather strap here is my best one out of my collection it's a souvenir that was sold around 1900 from the buffalo Bill wild west show.

You just grap the fob and pull the watch out to see the time and you don't drop it.
    eleven pass likes this.

You could look at wearing your pocket watch with a case, they can be ideal and some double hunter pocket watches come with them

Thread Information