Hy Moser watches

Thread: Hy Moser watches

Hy Moser watches

I was reading a thread here about some Hy Moser watches, albeit they were talking about wristwatches, and that there was no real identifying marks on the watch other than the dial reading Hy Moser.
    I have a couple of pocket watches that were made for the Burlington watch company ( Illinois) that were about 1910 - 1915, and were made for the Canadian RR. Now both these watches I do not feel would have been RR approved although they both definitely are RR grade, not being approved I feel because of the hands / dial combos, and in the case of one of them the fact that it is pendant set They are both 21j 16 size, adjusted to positions, 1 of them is lever and the other pendant set, and one is marked for RR use on it. These watches do not have the Hy Moser signature anywhere, but are definitely Hy Moser manufactured watches, and listed in the approved watches for the CPR. I contacted the Moser Company a couple of years ago, and it was confirmed that the one I had at the time and sent photos of was of their early manufacture, but they had no data as to dates etc, as all files had been lost due to the movement/takeover of the company over the years.

These are realtively uncommon watches, and I feel lucky that I do have them as they do not show up in a lot of collections. I had three of them at one time but ended up selling one to a fellow collector.

Please feel free to comment on these watches, good, bad, or whatever,
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hy Moser watches

They certainly should have been able to meet RR time requirements (30 seconds per week) but the dials are commercial, not RR spec. I suspect many such watches have been made. They don't seem, in general, to be uncommon.

I did not see where either was 'marked' for RR use...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    They certainly should have been able to meet RR time requirements (30 seconds per week) but the dials are commercial, not RR spec. I suspect many such watches have been made. They don't seem, in general, to be uncommon.

I did not see where either was 'marked' for RR use.
    Hi Eeeb,
    The darker one is marked, I'll attempt to put another picture there. One of the other boards have suggested to myself where they keep a database on these watches, that there have only been a few recorded, particularly of the ones marked for RR , but also only a few of the others. I noted on mine alone the unmarked ones ser# were less than 100 apart, on the one for RR use it is within that 100 of the known ones, there unfortunately is no way of knowing how many Burlington purchased of these swiss ones, nor how many went to become RR use or dress watches. There was also some 14s noted for the dress watches. I am sorry they were marked RR model, and 6 pos. rather than the five on the non RR model.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Eeeb; November 26th, 2012 at 03:17.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, they are high quality watches! How well are they running? (... I am assuming you have had them serviced... )

Others may know more than I.... indeed, many do know more
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

You have some nice looking watches!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information