I am desperate to buy a Jaeger Lecoultre- How Do I?

Thread: I am desperate to buy a Jaeger Lecoultre- How Do I?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am desperate to buy a Jaeger Lecoultre- How Do I?

I have been collecting for over 20 years and the only brand I dont't have that I realy want is JLC, I do not intend to spend a lot of money the oz dollar has just taken a dive so I get poor value fpr my hard earned cash.
    What do you guy's and Gals recomend? I have been doing the ebay thing for ever but always miss but $1.00 as someone closer to the seller gets the last say/bid. I don't know if I can honestly trust people I don't know and swap or trade buy from these sites as there is no guarentee, I am so close to a compleate collection yet so far- just any model jlc automatic that works- can you recomend shops? or sites that are reliable and affordable, I don't care if it's in 5 out of 10 conditin. I have tried the links and they all have top of the line models that are very expensive I don't want an expensive one just a base auto that works and is tripple signed (movement case and dial) What do you recomend?

Re: I am desperate to buy a Jaeger Lecoultre- How Do I?

Any vintage stuff I want I usually get from eBay although I never bought anything as high class as JLC.
    Sometimes the USA sold LeCoultre models are a bit cheaper although they are the same JLC calibers.
    Remember if you buy a luxury watch cheap it is likely to be:
    (1) a fake
    (2) a Frankenwatch
    (3) junk
    My advice would be to save up and get the real thing from a vintage dealer where you live.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by can't find the time View Post
    I have been doing the ebay thing for ever but always miss but $1.00 as someone closer to the seller gets the last say/bid.
    It's not that someone "closer" to the seller is winning, or that you are only losing by $1.00 - - it just may APPEAR that way.

If you enter a maximum bid of $110.00 and I enter a maximum bid of $150.00, eBay will record my winning bid as $111.00, just enough to beat you. So, it looks to you like you just got beat by $1.00, but you really got beat by $40.00.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have to agree with Ray, you get what you pay for... deals that are too good to be true almost always are.

I buy most of my watches on eBay but I wouldn't pay serious money for an eBay watch unless I knew enough to know what to look for... and you probably will not be at that point if it is your first JLC unless you have been doing lots of research.

But remember, buy the seller as much as the watch!! If you see Ruby Red's Shoppe of Jewelery with a feedback of 25 selling a $1000 JLC, run!!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Just keep trying. The thrill of the chase is part of the fun. I bought an auto for just under £500 once it had been fixed and serviced by a good watchmaker and I'm very pleased with it because I had waited for over 30 years to get one. Go for something '60s and avoid the Club models which have non JLC movements in them (So in my view are only 1% better than fakes even though they aren't.) This is a K881 which has a good reputation for being robust and a decent timekeeper. The workmanship within is clearly hand made, rather than being stamped out and it is a watch you can keep for life (With the advantage that you can look down your nose at R*l*x owners
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by tomshep; October 5th, 2008 at 21:35. Reason: addition.

If you don't already do so, you might also want to try using a sniping service. I use www.myibay.com - which is completely free - but no doubt others use other sites.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I have been ebaying for 11 years and had many a good run on watches but sadly whenever it was a high end watch it turned out to be a fake or a swapped movement or described as going but when it arrived had no balance wheel or some other major partwas mising ("that must have happened in transit- it worked when it left here!")
    What I do now is go for older models I know are correct, reputable sellers and then get them replated and serviced, I bought a Tudor prince the old rose model, for $120, it cost me $300 for a compleat o/h, bit expensive but it is a new watch now that ows me $450 (postage added).
    What is a "FRANKENWATCH"? that Ray talks about.
    That bidding thing ebay offers is now clearly faster than it used to be, I have high speed broad band and wait till 15 seconds left to finalise bid, the sreen comes back you are the highest with 3 or 4 seconds left then refresh and find you have lost. I could always beat the old ebay auto bid system but I followed the link for the new system and it is apparently last second. I may have to join up- all I want though is this one watch- any reputable dealers out there that sell second had unrefurbished watches?
    Surely some one knows a shop that sells these things and isn't a rip off shop?

Quote Originally Posted by can't find the time View Post
    I have been ebaying for 11 years and had many a good run on watches but sadly whenever it was a high end watch it turned out to be a fake or a swapped movement or described as going but when it arrived had no balance wheel or some other major partwas mising ("that must have happened in transit- it worked when it left here!")
    What I do now is go for older models I know are correct, reputable sellers and then get them replated and serviced, I bought a Tudor prince the old rose model, for $120, it cost me $300 for a compleat o/h, bit expensive but it is a new watch now that ows me $450 (postage added).
    What is a "FRANKENWATCH"? that Ray talks about.
    That bidding thing ebay offers is now clearly faster than it used to be, I have high speed broad band and wait till 15 seconds left to finalise bid, the sreen comes back you are the highest with 3 or 4 seconds left then refresh and find you have lost. I could always beat the old ebay auto bid system but I followed the link for the new system and it is apparently last second. I may have to join up- all I want though is this one watch- any reputable dealers out there that sell second had unrefurbished watches?
    Surely some one knows a shop that sells these things and isn't a rip off shop?
    I use eSnipe to place most bids for me at about 6 seconds before auction end. Others opt for a shorter margin, but all you really need is to enter your bid late enough that other bidders are unable to respond to your bid. Given the time it takes to enter a new amount, enter it, and then confirm it, I am certain that 6 seconds is plenty late to avoid responders, while still being late enough to avoid glitches in the entering of my own bid.

The REAL problem I think you are encountering is that you are not entering the absolute maximum bid amount that you are willing to pay, i.e., if someone trumps your bid you would not be willing to bid any higher. You must keep in mind that the eBay bidding system will only enter on your behalf an amount just high enough to beat the next highest bidder. So, with 5 seconds remaining and the bidding showing $120.00 (and that happens to equal that bidder's maximum bid), if you enter $165.00, but someone else enters $140.00 with 4 seconds remaining, your bid will first show up as $122.50 - - just trumping the earlier bidder's $120.00 - - and one second later your bid will show as $142.50, trumping the later bidder's amount. Thus, you win the watch for $142.50 even though you entered $165.00. There is no need to react to others' late bids if you enter the MAXIMUM you are willing to pay, and you enter it with seconds remaining so other bidders do not have enough time to respond to your bid.

Even employing this strategy, I lose about 75% of the watches I bid on. BUT, the reason I lose is that some other guy is willing to pay an amount that I just cannot justify under any circumstances. I'm disappointed, but glad I didn't bid higher. Keep in mind that even though the other guy's winning bid appears to be, let's say, $177.00, he may have actually entered an amount like $225.00, meaning I would have needed a FAR higher bid to win than the just beating the winning amount showing on the auction.

Hope that helps.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Let's say a seller has two watches - one has a nice case but the movement is shot. The other one has a good movement and dial but the case is dodgy. He puts the two good parts together and sells as an original - but it's a Frankenwatch. Never existed that way from the factory.
    I have a Gruen like that. It looks good but my watchmaker doesn't think the case and movement belong together.
    BTW it's hard for us to suggest a dealer in Australia, and I really think if you are going to buy something like a JLC you want to see it in person.
    Here's a decent online dealer. You could try an email and see what he has.
    http://www.darlor-watch.com

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

I have an iron rule: I don't buy watches on eBay for more than ca €200. I've made exceptions to that rule, and have invariably been disappointed. Given the nature of JLC, I'd not get one via eBay.

Why not?

Because you never really know what you're getting until you have it and have had it looked at by a competent watchmaker. While sellers will tell you the world about what a great watch it is, unless you have absolute trust in them, you can't trust them at all. I've got three or four eBay sellers who I trust, but even then I am highly hesitant about buying something unseen for the kind of money we are talking about.

Like I've said, I've done it, but I it's not been a good experience.

When buying online, you HAVE to buy the seller: a good online seller will not only provide you with oodles of pictures, but will also answer questions, etc.

Others have said enough about auction bidding practices that I don't need to. Their advice is good.

Take your time and search for that vendor. You should be able to find some great timepieces out there from JLC, but they will be expensive: the idea of finding something really inexpensive on eBay that will get you the biggest bang for your buck is fanciful, I fear.

I know that while I've gotten some great bargains on eBay, those days are largely long past, and while there are gems out there, you have to figure in inspection, cleaning & maintenance, repairs, etc into you actual real final price, the one that you are willing to pay. Otherwise you will end up with either a badly battered junker that you paid too much for, or you will end up spending more than you planned to.

My rule of thumb when dealing with more expensive watch brands: search on eBay and elsewhere what recent sales have been, discount due to condition, then add 30% as a basis for acquisition, and then plan on spending another €150 or so getting the watch checked and, where necessary, worked on. Also new bands, crystal, other parts, etc. Hence if my budget for a JLC were €500 or so, the most I could effectively bid would be €350: you can search on eBay's past auctions for the kind of JLC you can acquire for that money.

Best of luck, and don't get your "desperation" to have a JLC get in the way of getting the best bang for your buck.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information