I assume this is a slippery slope
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I assume this is a slippery slope

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I assume this is a slippery slope

Hi all,

I am looking to buy my first vintage watch and am looking for some direction. I see I can jump on ebay and spend as much as my wallet can handle, but I don't want to make some rookie mistake. This will actually be a gift to me from my in-laws and they are looking to spend under $200. So, where is a good place to start? It looks like I can get old Gruens, Bulovas, Cymas and more for that budget. I am looking to wade into this thing as I learn more about what I like and what makes an old watch a desirable old watch.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to learning from you veterans.

T

Re: I assume this is a slippery slope

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/you...s-2605106.html

Horologist007 put this together with input from most everyone on this forum.

Look at the WRUW (what are you wearing) threads on the vintage forum and get an idea what you like for styles vs. what will fit your budget.

Welcome to the madness! We always like company.
    saxoo likes this.

Welcome to the slopes! I think you are on the right track. Some other vintage-value brands you might consider are Elgin, Wittnauer and Longines. Of course, look out for frankens and redials. Always consider that no matter what you buy, you would be best served to have it serviced, which could run you anywhere from $75 on up. Don't trust seller assertions that it was "serviced recently." Ebay is certainly a bit of a minefield-- be wary of watches coming out of certain countries where a large number of frankens come from. Most of all, have fun with the hobby!
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

and in the end, send us pics of what you're considering, all here happy to share experience. Oh, and opinions, too. Good news, bad news sorta thang.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    and in the end, send us pics of what you're considering, all here happy to share experience. Oh, and opinions, too. Good news, bad news sorta thang.
    + 1 and welcome:)

Regards,

I guess you can also have a look at Tissot. In-house movements and nice design, in reasonable prices (usually). I'd suggest their pre-1960 watches (they were using this nice old logo until 1959/1960), they usually had movements from the calibre 27 family. Bumper automatic Tissots might be a little bit more costly, but if you get lucky, then maybe you'll find one within your budget.
    Generally, two brands that you've mentioned, Gruen and Bulova, are not really that risky in terms of redials/frankens out there. Of course, you need to watch out for that, and if you have any doubts or questions regarding a watch that you would like to buy, you can always ask for help here in F11.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you all. I didn't know what they were called at the time, but frankens and redials so make me a little nervous. Of course, I am also one of those guys who doesn't get too upset about some of that stuff provided I don't over pay for what I get. If I like it, I like it. I would rather it be right but a replaced crown for a fair price is fine if I will wear and enjoy the watch. I added a few pics of the kind of things I like.Name:  westbury.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  160.3 KBName:  FL.jpg
Size:  56.6 KBName:  rodania.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  117.9 KBName:  pierce.jpg
Size:  120.7 KBName:  clinton.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  121.5 KB

Except for the Favre-Leuba, all are 1940s-1950s watches, the Westbury might be from the early 1960s, although my guess would be 1950s.
    Be careful with Favre-Leuba- there are original pieces out there, but the vast majority are Bombay Specials (Indian redials), and the one you've posted might as well be a redial. So avoid anything from India, South America and Ukraine. Not that redials and frankens aren't sold anywhere else, but these three regions are known for flooding the market with all the stuff you wouldn't want to spend your money on.
    doggbiter and Habitant like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Except for the Favre-Leuba, all are 1940s-1950s watches, the Westbury might be from the early 1960s, although my guess would be 1950s.
    Be careful with Favre-Leuba- there are original pieces out there, but the vast majority are Bombay Specials (Indian redials), and the one you've posted might as well be a redial. So avoid anything from India, South America and Ukraine. Not that redials and frankens aren't sold anywhere else, but these three regions are known for flooding the market with all the stuff you wouldn't want to spend your money on.
    Thanks. How does one know if Favre-Leubas are redials? The picture I posted shows it is in Michigan but I do not know where it was before that?

Quote Originally Posted by twgoodwin View Post
    Thanks. How does one know if Favre-Leubas are redials? The picture I posted shows it is in Michigan but I do not know where it was before that?
    I don't know how to edit my post so I'll just reply to myself here. Do you all tend to trust sellers more if they aren't selling many of the same brand of watch? I see some sellers have many watches listed of the same brand, many watches of various brands and them some who appear to be picking up things at the thrift store or garage sales and posting them on ebay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information