I can not stand when ebay buyers do this
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I can not stand when ebay buyers do this

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I can not stand when ebay buyers do this

I don't understand the logic some ebay shoppers use when they decide to start a mini bid-war on a watch that doesn't close for six or seven more days. They are nearly always sniped at the end anyway and these early bids only succeed in raising the price for someone who really wants the piece and is willing to pay a little more (but hopes they don't have to). I can understand bidding with a day left - there's a possibility that you're going to be the only one - but racketing up the price until it's so expensive the original bidders lose interest is stupid (or maybe genius if you're a seller trying to con the system).

As I'm sure you can tell there's a Benrus calendar I recently didn't win, but my point remains!

Banned

Re: I can not stand when ebay buyers do this

Now, now - no sour grapes allowed here!

Who am I kidding? I have some gripes with eBay too, starting with the deadbeat 'winners' who disappear after placing the high bid, and of course the schill bidding, and don't forget how expensive it is to sell - Paypal and eBay take their cuts and you lose a nice percentage of the sale price on top of the listing fees.

....or you could list on the sales forums and get more tire kickers than a used car lot, answer a bunch of questions for people who never will buy your watch and may not have had any intention of buying in the first place, get ridiculous low ball offers, and get the same disappearing act after they say they'll take it. I once was selling a real NOS watch for a decent price. I had a guy ask a few times about it, then say he'd buy it. Vanishing act! So a week later I sent him an e-mail asking why and he replied with a link to the same watch on eBay for 2/3 of the price - but it was a total beater! Does anyone think a new car should be the same price as one with 250,000 miles and faded paint? Do old shoes sell for more than new ones - even on sale? WTF is wrong with people???

* Opinions expressed in this rant-itorial do not necessarily reflect those of station management. We now return you to your normally scheduled programming.
    OkGoodThen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Now, now - no sour grapes allowed here!

Who am I kidding? I have some gripes with eBay too, starting with the deadbeat 'winners' who disappear after placing the high bid, and of course the schill bidding, and don't forget how expensive it is to sell - Paypal and eBay take their cuts and you lose a nice percentage of the sale price on top of the listing fees.

....or you could list on the sales forums and get more tire kickers than a used car lot, answer a bunch of questions for people who never will buy your watch and may not have had any intention of buying in the first place, get ridiculous low ball offers, and get the same disappearing act after they say they'll take it. I once was selling a real NOS watch for a decent price. I had a guy ask a few times about it, then say he'd buy it. Vanishing act! So a week later I sent him an e-mail asking why and he replied with a link to the same watch on eBay for 2/3 of the price - but it was a total beater! Does anyone think a new car should be the same price as one with 250,000 miles and faded paint? Do old shoes sell for more than new ones - even on sale? WTF is wrong with people???

* Opinions expressed in this rant-itorial do not necessarily reflect those of station management. We now return you to your normally scheduled programming.
    Those ebay fees should help subsidize some user counseling.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you file an unpaid item dispute on eBay you should get your fees back.
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

I certainly agree but it is what it is. There's plenty of vintages out there anyways. Even if I think I won the best, there's still going to be a better piece (at least for me) tomorrow.

It all boils down to how much you want it
    seiko · orient · citizen · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · apple watch

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    GiveDirect -
    https://www.givedirectly.org/
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/
    Save The Children - http://www.savethechildren.org/

Use automated sniping if it really matters- your serious competition is. Ebay is hard on sellers these days, so don't blame them.
    I rarely sell there anymore because of the higher fees.
    "My grail showed up today"

I've quit selling on eBay. I was a small PowerSeller with 100% feedback until a malicious non-paying bidder
    negged me and eBay, in its efforts to increase its own revenues by favoring buyers, sided with the jerk
    who never returned any emails, eBay messages, or invoices requesting payment. Never paid at all. Just left
    negative feedback. eBay said "Sorry, but that's the way it is now."

So now I'm a former eBay PowerSeller.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Banned

A couple other things came to mind:

I love the inquiry "What's your reserve price?". If it were meant to be known, it would be publicized in the listing. Bid what you want and if you meet the reserve and win then it's yours.

Another favorite is "What's the minimum you would sell it for?". I have bitten my tongue to date, but one of these times I'm replying "What's the maximum you'll pay?". Once again, bid what you think it's worth to you and roll the dice.

Now, if a buyer makes an offer of $XXX then there's something to work with.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

I have my maximum bid for an item and I usually bid my maximum right away. Many times after placing my bid I've already lost as someone has set their bid higher. I prefer to use the 'Buy It Now' or 'Best Offer' option. With the 'Best Offer' option I've gotten quite a few good deals on some watches. eBay's fees are really shite. I have an item I put on eBay with a reserve price of $3000. The item is worth about $6k, but there was no way I was not going to put a reserve on it. There is 10 hours left in the auction with no bids, but I will still have to pay the listing fees if it doesn't sell. It's great when your the biggest game in town you can set the rules however you want.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    eBay's fees are really shite.
    And if you sell the item you'll have to pay PayPal fees for receiving the money...
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information