I can't believe....bought a Harwood
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I can't believe....bought a Harwood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I can't believe....bought a Harwood

Still full with emotions and don't know exactly why I am writing here. Maybe its the obsession, which not many people out of WUS would understand. Safe heaven WUS

Otherwise why should a person buy an 80 year old watch while having the options to buy a luxury brand watch with that price tag.Was in touch with the seller, found out he is friendly and knows what he is selling. The case is in 9 ct gold and movement looks fine.An AD for other brands but a watch enthusiast himself, serviced and fully functioning and adds a 6 months warranty with return options. That made me confide in him and we made the
    deal.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the first mass production self winding watch: Harwood, the latest addition to my vintage watch collection:

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  31.7 KB

What I know about this vintage watch is except general knowledge, referring to Dr. Ranfft's pink pages is when John Harwood came from Isle of Man to Swiss to realize his project and patented it in 1923. A.Schild ( AS ) helped with the movement and Fortis with casing in the prototype. First mass production with 14,000 pieces were made by Harwoods patent,AS and Blancpain joint venture. Would appreciate your knowledge and feedback also on this timepiece.

So now having the Glycine Meylan Automatic and this Harwood,as first automatics, next stop I guess is that first Water Resistant Oyster Rolex.

Still can't believe in what a drainage I am happily :)

If you want to give it a read and see the pics of the Meylan Caliber ( https://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/gly...-a-750094.html )
    Last edited by Emre; September 17th, 2012 at 20:08.
    radger likes this.

Re: I can't believe....bought a Harwood

congrats on your new/old watch, whats the hole above the 6 for?

This watch, was produced to be dust proof that's why no crown, and the hands are set via the bezel, its biredirectional. To disengage the movement for setting the hands you turn it counterclockwise, the red dot becomes white so you can set the time correction, once you are done, you turn it again opposite direction until it gets red and the movement is engaged to work again. Remember its an antique watch with antique mechanism.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

wow thats unique never seen a watch you set like that before, sounds complicated. Is this an automatic as well

Yes it is the first automatic wrist watch in the world which is mass produced.There were some automata called pocket watches done in the 18th Century which worked by weight ( like the wall clock weights ) 15 min walking could make it run for 8 days, however those trials were not productive I guess and were not mass productions. I am sure the wiser members about pocket watches can give more info at this point.

This Harwood, the sad thing is they produced total 30, 000 pieces and the company collapsed in 1931 with the depression. The patent was not renewed.But the invention brought a new breath to horology, Eugene Meylan ( Glycine ) took this caliber 18 a step further to caliber 20 with a more convenient- easier servicable mechanism and created the Glycine Meylan Automatic Bumper . Which the recent Glycine Eugene Meylan watches pay homage for with APPEARANCE only.

The hands are set with that crown next to lugs pictured in the movement, which is operated by the bezel on the dial up position. While turning the bezel the whole inner movement being disengaged,sets the time. The hammer- bumper mechanism doesn't turn 360 degrees like the automatic rotors we know know, it turns like 240 degrees I think and bumps to the other part of the movement until it bumps the opposite side moves again. When its wound it works only for 12 hours ( modern day power reserve ).Then Rolex took over from Meylan one more step further and created the perpetual rotor turning 360 degrees.They were sold before Rolex's perpetual as ' Self Winding Perpetual ' in North America and by Blancpain in France under license.
    Last edited by Emre; September 23rd, 2012 at 00:48.

That's an impressive purchase.

I'd like one but they are very rare and never very cheap. Congratulations - you are right to be excited.

The Harwood is an example of typical British inventiveness - followed by typical British commercial failure.
    redcow likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Keynes was living in that era, he simply wasn't interested in watches I guess:)
    Last edited by Emre; September 17th, 2012 at 20:48.

So now I can understand your excitement, thanks for the info on the watch, its always great learning new things on this site.

Not many collectors will manage to get hold of one of these, great purchase
    and a pleasure to see.

It is lovely. Thanks for sharing. Congrats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information