I found my grandfather's Tissot help
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I found my grandfather's Tissot help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I found my grandfather's Tissot help

Hi guys. Iam new here. Today i found my grandfather watch Tissot. I looking for everywhere what kind of watch it is i mean series and year and i cant find.
    First thing what is strange all watches have inscription ,,antimagnetique" my have ,,antimagnetic". What does it mean this difference? I cant find year of made too. I opened this watch and i found two numbers inside. First on cover 66760-1 and second on mechanism 2412779. Mechanism has inscription ,,sixteen 16 jewels".
    Maybe somebody help me and tell me what is year of this watch and why is difference inscription.
    Regards

Re: I found my grandfather's Tissot help

Antimagnetique is French for anti-magnetic. the serial number on the movement dates it to 1950, any chance of a photo or two?

Without pictures, not much to be said.

That serial number you provided points to 1950. "66760-1" is the reference number (which is largely irrelevant, as they can't be looked up anywhere).

The Tissot Antimagnetiqe came in two dial inscription versions- for most markets, it was just "Antimagnetique", for the US and Great Britain (and all its overseas territories and dominions) the dials were signed "Non Magnetic." As far as I know, no Tissot was ever marked "Antimagnetic." Unless you meant "non magnetic", I'm afraid the dial could have been repainted at some point. Again, with no pictures, it's all just theoretical talking.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for answer. I send photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

watchdaddy1 likes this.

I found information about non magnetic but my has inscription like on the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

watchdaddy1 likes this.

The dial has definitely been repainted. The Tissot font is not particularly well done, the font used for "Antimagnetic" (which alone is incorrect for any Tissot, as I've said before) is a result of the dial restorer's outburst of creativity. It was probably repainted long ago.

The case is OK, so is the movement- it's a calibre 27-2, which is a version of the cal. 27 with an indirectly driven sweep second (hence the additional jewel- the standard, sub-second cal. 27 has 15 jewels).
    badbackdan and bsshog40 like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

How could someone go to all the trouble to refinish a dial and make such a blatant error?

Edit: This is meant as a rhetorical question.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thank you for exhausting information. Maybe my grandfather had trouble with this watch and somebody made this mess. Could you tell me - is it shield is oryginal and somebody change only inscription or changed all thing? Do you think mechanism is oryginal or something was changed? Of course what you see :).

When i looking for this watch on google i saw the same watch but without inscription ,, antimagnetic". Only Tissot. Maybe mine is the same but somebody was art and changed this.

As @mkws mentioned, I think this is an authentic Tissot, with the original case, movement, and hands. The dial has been repainted.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information