I have a beautiful Universal Geneve Full Calendar Watch - But is it authentic?

Thread: I have a beautiful Universal Geneve Full Calendar Watch - But is it authentic?

I have a beautiful Universal Geneve Full Calendar Watch - But is it authentic?

Hello,

I've recently come upon a Universal Geneve Beauty, but am afraid the dial may be partially or entirely fabricated. Are you able t tell me if it is? Just the moonphase? The whole thing? Just refinished?

I opened the back and it's a nicely conditioned 291 caliber movement. It's also an 18k gold case. All the buttons work.

Of course, the day-of-the-week function is in another language.

Re: I have a beautiful Universal Geneve Full Calendar Watch - But is it authentic?

I saw an almost identical one swimming in the 'Bay recently. I go excited until I saw the vendor was in Argentina... I hope yours wasn't caught there.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: I have a beautiful Universal Geneve Full Calendar Watch - But is it authentic?

Mine wasn't - but I have seen them on Ebay from there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Brunner/Pfeiffer-Belli have a UG with Cal. 291 and identical moonphase in their reference book so that ought to be original. As for the dial, I can see no evidence of it having been tampered with and the other one (in B/P-B) is similar.

Hartmut Richter

The pics aren't orthogonal and don't help, but it seems that there are many imperfections in this dial.

I didn't know sex was a day of the week?
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I can only state that I can see no imperfections on the date subdial with regard to the printing and that the watch in B/P-B has the same orientation of the dates ("flip over" between 7 & 9 and again between 23 & 25). As for the outer faults, that may be a trick of the light, distorted by the crystal. You have the watch, you can check that aspect better. I must say though, that the overall dial finissage is quite in keeping with a watch from that time that hasn't been tampered with.

Hartmut Richter

Congrats on your attractive new timepiece!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thank you all for your valuable opinions! They are well appreciated.

,David

congrats on a nice timepiece
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information