I was just curious to see under the bell of one of these ;)
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Marrick
  • 2 Post By Mirius
  • 1 Post By RTB
  • 5 Post By RTB
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 2 Post By RTB
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: I was just curious to see under the bell of one of these ;)

RTB

I was just curious to see under the bell of one of these ;)

So thought I'd share this not so common alarm PW with you,............ now starts the search for the movement/watch maker, quite a few choices with this one, & the search continues ;)
    I saw this sort of hand setter on a E. Blancpain & Fils. pocket watch somewhere. come to think of it, there was a little pin sticking out of the edge of that balance wheel too.
    Can't see any Moritz Kohn makers marks :(
    Time for some more reading & learning :)

Later..........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I was just curious to see under the bell of one of these ;)

Cool.

This (4th one down) looks like it might be related - PocketWatch - Verkauf Taschenuhren
    RTB likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTB View Post
    come to think of it, there was a little pin sticking out of the edge of that balance wheel too.
    That is normally the sign of a cylinder escapement (but perhaps also used elsewhere) Acts to ensure the balance wheel doesn't go round too far on each cycle.
    radger and RTB like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

RTB

Thank-you both for the interest.

Marrick.....It was exactly one of those once before someone did a pretty good job trying to rescue it, they put a fair bit of work into the re-dial & lumed hands, but I'm hoping to get a replica dial same as in your link made & match up the hands to those too ;) I've only seen two photos(until now ;) on the web of these.

I'm back to the German angle at the moment because of the 'R' on the crown for alarm, Unicum translates into unique, & now there looks like a miss stamp of a 'D' on the plate (maybe Deutschland) There's a '2' as well but no other marks visible anywhere else.

The slightest touch & this movement just keeps ticking :)

Mirius.......:) now i see the stop pin 180 degrees opposite on the pillar, thanks for the learning ;)

Here's some more photo's as I had a bit of time thanks to the rain.

later..........

radger likes this.

RTB

I think I've found it gentlemen :) ........the hunch may have turned out well after all ;)

I'm hoping one of you is better at working Espacenet database than I, & can get an English version of the original documents on here some how for us all to read. I'll keep trying but for now this is the best I can do. Brevet CH16675 (A).
    I'm still looking to see if there's any more brevets etc. as this is more for a alarm clock set-up.

Later............

RTB

Finally Got a little spare puzzle time to myself last night to clean & inspect, 3 outta 4 jewels chipped/cracked so guess I'll have to up my skills a few levels, & tools ;). I've left the bumps/marks etc. as polishing them out will also remove the engine turning/lathe marks & I like to see the hands on beginnings of these older PWs, they may not be as pretty as some, but I like to see how it all started ;)
    Just a clean & most of the dial side screw heads de burred, will do all the others later when I re-blue them all & fit the dial/hand etc.
    & back together safe for now until I get time to revisit this project & finish it, I don't like leaving them in pieces for months just in case ;)
    Thought I'd share again :) Projects on hold for a few months now while I get a replica dail made, fingers crossed all the measuring pays off :)

Outstanding thread.
    Great work and most interesting
    A
    RTB likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

RTB

Thanks all for your positive reactions & interest, I'm happy others enjoy these old mysteries as well. :)

I've finally sort of got the translation too...............guess that explains the '2' stamp as well,.... part ID & placement, most Swiss makers used letters ;)
    I'm thinking it's one of his design variations even more now. I'll update the input when the project goes forward again later.

SilkeN and James A like this.

very cool.
    Kudos to you
    A
    RTB likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information