I just found my late grandfather's watch! Thoughs?

Thread: I just found my late grandfather's watch! Thoughs?

I just found my late grandfather's watch! Thoughs?

Last sunday I went to visit my aunts and they had a surprise for me. They had found the wristwatch of my late grandfather and they gave it to me!
    It's a Cauny Prima. I don't know much about the brand but from what I've looked on the web and from what my father told me, it was a very popular maker here in Portugal in the 50's and 60's.
    My grandfather lived in a rural area and was a sheppard for all of his life. He had goats and a baby goat sold for 7 "escudos" in those days. My father told me that my grandfather bought the watch from somebody that came from the USA for 35 "escudos". It was a big investment and my grandfather used for the rest of his life.
    It's in an heavy used condition and the gold plating is gone in most of the case. I can set the time but can't wind it. I have to take to a watchmaker but I'm afraid that we will say that has no fixing.
    I would love to fix it as much as I can and to give it to my father.
    Can you tell me anything about the watch? In the back I can read SWISS MADE - FOND ACIER INOXYDABLE - LUNETTE CARRURE - PLAQUE OR G. 10 MICRONS and the serial number 419/401 65. You can also see Cauny Prima and the "Fleur de Lis" logo.
    Can you "replate" a case? In the dial, we have nice golden hands, art deco 12, 9, 6 and 3 and a seconds subdial at 6.
    Any thoughts on this watch?

Thanks.

P.S.: Sorry about the mistakes. English is not my native language.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I just found my late grandfather's watch! Thoughs?

Hey,

wondered where you had gone, as you hadn't posted for a little bit.

I think you already know the answers from hanging around this forum. Cauny was indeed a brand popular in Portugal and Spain. They were not a brand that was well know outside. They used good quality generic Swiss movements, so expect an AS, FHF, Eta, etc inside. You know the rules BTW, and that we expect to see movement shots. But assuming a good quality generic movement, repair should be simple.

By the position of the seconds subdial, the movement inside is quite small. I am not certain of the date, but if pressed I would say early 60's. To be entrusted with this heirloom is a great honor. Be careful with things such as replating, you will probably be disappointed, and after all - the wear was from your Grandfather's use and is part of his and the watch's history. I would personally leave it as it is, as each bump, dent and worn spot connects you in some way to the daily life of your Grandfather.

We've discussed watchmakers before, I hope you have found one, or decided to learn yourself.

Did you ever get that Roamer? Has anything happened with the Longines?

Hello Trim!

You just made my day! I didn't thought that I was "remembered" around WUS :)
    You made a great point with the restoring issues. In deed, all the marks are marks of the life of my grandfather. And he had a really hard life. He also fought a alcohol problem and won. Sober for more than 40 years. He taught a lot of what I know and made me a lot of what I am. I was raised with him and my grandmother.
    My biggest concern is that one of the lugs has the one of the support holes worn out. Can you think of any solution for this?
    I managed to find a watchmaker and I'm trying to create a bond with him. I trusted him with my Raketa and my Poljot, just to check his work and it was quite good.
    Now he has my Longines. It never made to Switzerland. It went to Longines Portugal and they say that they only work on it if they change the glass, the dial, the hands and make it like new. I don't want that... I just want it to work.
    About the Roamer, I did win the auction but never heard from the seller. I contacted him but he never answered...
    I see that you are preparing a Roamer site. Can wait to see it...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Of course you are remembered.

I am glad the Longines is being kept as original. I look forward to the photos.

The lugs can be repaired. They cannot solder them as solder is too soft. The correct way is to solder a tube of the correct inside diameter into the lug. The cheapest way is to solder in wire and convert the watch to fixed lugs. A decent manufacturing jeweler should have no problem doing this. The most modern technology is to laser weld the lugs.

In any case you have options that depend on your budget.

I cant tell from the pic but it looks like the dial has a dent around the sub-seconds hand. if so this explains the marks made in circular pattern. As such I think trm is right and that by redialing you will be taking a lot of character out of the watch. Since its sentimental and not particularly valuable monetarily speaking I would jus have the movemnt serviced and the lugs fixed. watchmaker can lightly buff the case-back but the plating should probably be left as well. Good luck with the movemnt and hopefully all it needs is a good cleaning. If the watchmaker finds the sec hand obstructed by the dent perhaps he will be able to pres the dent out from the back w/o further damage to dial.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information