I just got another 992B

Thread: I just got another 992B

I just got another 992B

I went to a NAWCC club meeting today and I could not help my self I saw this Hamilton 992B at a great price and I kind of needed one that has a case that you don't mind using this is a Hamilton 992B,16 size,21 jewel,lever set,adjusted to temp and 6 position,railroad grade, serial no C441320 made between 1954-1956,stainless steal case. And the NAWCC meeting was good they had some one from the westcoast clock and watch museum that's in the state of Washington he did a good lecture on it I will have to check it out some time.
    Last edited by river rat; November 10th, 2008 at 15:04.

Re: I just got another 992B

Nice catch, that is a nice watch with a really useful case.

Erik_H

Thanks Erik_H your right about the useful case that what I was thinking when I saw it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a number 15 case used from approx. 1949-50 until the end of production in 1969.

Ron did you ever notice on the newer 992B movenent's they don't have the gold center wheel as the older one's do.

That's correct, they modified the 992B movement over time to keep the costs down. There is controversy about gold center wheels, the consensus seems to be that they were not solid but plated.

I have been using this watch all week and what is surprising is that it has not lost any time in 5 days I have new watches that you pay double what I paid for this watch it is like it's a lost art on how to make a watch these day's you think we would of come a long way in 55 years and be able to make a watch that is good anough for railroad grade this 922B hamilton has realy surprised me that it keep's such good time.May be it keep's better time than some of my other's pocket watches being made in the 1950's making it the newest one in my collection and it had less use.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    That's correct, they modified the 992B movement over time to keep the costs down. There is controversy about gold center wheels, the consensus seems to be that they were not solid but plated.
    Hi Ron
    At a shop were I buy parts and watches I ask this same question and the owner of the shop told me the center wheels were soild gold and helped with adjustedment to temp well at another forum I ask this again and boy did I get a lot on the myth's of the gold center wheel you were right they found that info in the blue prints for the 992B the center wheel is brass and electroplated with 24kt gold and the one on temp is a myth and also it was said that it was gold plated for smother rolling action in the pinions and reduces friction thru the train wheels and in later years the hamilton co found out it did not help mutch becouse in the end they stoped using them.And I if I remember one member had a beat up gold center wheel and cut it up to see if it was and it was not the things we do to learn about watches.
    Last edited by river rat; November 30th, 2008 at 23:29.

Great watch, I love 992Bs. I'd like to have one in a silver case.

Thread Information