I know It's been discussed before...but!

Thread: I know It's been discussed before...but!

I know It's been discussed before...but!

Can anyone point out trusted sellers on the eBay? Is Wandolec or Originaldeal2009 to be trusted or are all their watches frank.?? I mean some of them seem to much work for so little money don't you think? I would like to receive only unbiased and documented answers. Can anybody be sure? Please post some sure sellers. Thanks

HENRY MOSER Schaffhausen Men's Antique 1910 Wrist Watch - eBay (item 260650934416 end time Aug-24-10 18:28:37 PDT)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by constantine_a_f; August 23rd, 2010 at 03:39.

Re: I know It's been discussed before...but!

Of course it has been discussed before. The search function is your friend.

Many a time we have discussed the monsters coming from the Ukraine. They feed on nubes such as yourself.

Remember Thud's First Law of Opposition:
    If the deal seems too good to be true, it is.

Walk away. You are their target.

As to the individual sellers you mention, are you advertising them? I doubt it but it's generally considered bad form to bandish the names of ebay sellers outside of the deals forum set up for that purpose.

I hope that helps.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks for the answer, and yes I'm a novice at vintage wrist-watches but I collect some pocket ones mainly from antiquorum. I didn't want to advertise anybody, but there is no other way to point to you were I want you to look. Anyways as you are not a nube you will not buy, you will just discredit them and that's what I asked for, just with more details. Meaning: why is it a faux?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by constantine_a_f View Post
    Thanks for the answer, and yes I'm a novice at vintage wrist-watches but I collect some pocket ones mainly from antiquorum. I didn't want to advertise anybody, but there is no other way to point to you were I want you to look. Anyways as you are not a nube you will not buy, you will just discredit them and that's what I asked for, just with more details. Meaning: why is it a faux?
    Many watches coming out of Eastern Europe are franken watches. Watches that have been cobbled together to look like originals. It's a thriving industry in the Ukraine and Bulgaria. As P. T. Barnum said "There is a sucker born every minute". This is why these sellers are able to get away with what they do. You will find that many of these sellers often have great feedback. I believe there are two reasons for this. The first being that they are selling to relative new comers to watch collecting; the second being that those who do purchase from them are to embarrassed to leave negative feedback. No matter how many times these franken watches are reported eBay seems to do nothing about it. When buying from eBay especially, remember to buy the seller first. If you have a gut feeling that it's to good to be true it most likely is.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; August 23rd, 2010 at 12:45.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Another reason for their great feedback; they don't actually lie. Most of the ones I've seen are very scrupulously factual about the things that can be defined and proven. As for the rest, semantics can be fun. Just because the watch isn't what you thought it was (or even what they implied) doesn't mean the seller lied (and if you try to give a negative feedback without suitable cause, they can protest it and have Ebay remove it).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Another reason for their great feedback; they don't actually lie. Most of the ones I've seen are very scrupulously factual about the things that can be defined and proven. As for the rest, semantics can be fun. Just because the watch isn't what you thought it was (or even what they implied) doesn't mean the seller lied (and if you try to give a negative feedback without suitable cause, they can protest it and have Ebay remove it).
    I had an experience like this several years ago on eBay. They informed me there was nothing I could do as the seller didn't outright lie. So I was basically stuck with an item that wasn't worth the price I paid for it. I still have it sitting in my attic.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Thread Information