I lost Grandma's watch
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I lost Grandma's watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I lost Grandma's watch

About 5 years ago I lost the watch that had been passed down to me from my grandmother. It has haunted me since then and having to tell my father that I lost it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I would like to replace the watch with something similar. Of course, I did not make pictures of it (Lesson learned!).

Here is what I do recall about the watch: the face of it said "Rich's". As my grandfather was a Rich's department store retiree, I venture to guess he had purchased the watch for her from Rich's, or it was a gift to him from the store for XX amount of years of service.

The watch was dainty and had a pyramid of diamonds on the top and bottom of the rectangular-face. I seem to recall it also had diamonds elsewhere, but I could very well be wrong. It was white gold. I did find something somewhat similar to it at one time, but it was not close enough - pictures provided.

Any lead as to what maker might have made the watch and/or where to look for a replacement would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Attachment 1066043Attachment 1066044
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I lost Grandma's watch

Hi and welcome
    I doubt you will have any chance to either find an identical piece or know who made the original. There were just so many Swiss manufacturers.

The watch you show we term a 'cocktail' watch from Deco Period 1920s.
    If you do a WW search on ebay for 'ladies cocktail wristwatch' you will come up with 1,000 of examples, you may want to add vintage
    Save the search and each day you will be notified of new offers.
    In time you will see something close (hopefully)

The good news is they are usually pretty cheap - as no one wants them now

Good Luck
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. My eyes are peeled on eBay (have been for quite some time). [sigh]
    Again, thanks.

Kim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Household6 View Post
    I appreciate you taking the time to respond. My eyes are peeled on eBay (have been for quite some time). [sigh]
    Again, thanks.

Kim
    Hi Kim
    Patience will pay off.
    I have waited up to 3 yrs to find some 'holy grails' in my collection

Good luck
    Regards
    nome93 likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Just wanted to update my post in the hopes that anyone who may happen to run across such a piece to know that I am still searching.

My grandmother passed one year ago in Jan and I'm grateful I never had to tell her of my loss.

Anyone having such a piece may contact me on gmail [my first name in previous post][email protected] (hope that is encrypted enough.)

Hoping my persistence will pay off!

And here I am again 2 years from my initial post, and 1 year after my last.

I still have not given up the search and recently have been encouraged from a watch found on eBay. (See pic). This is obviously a man's version, but the "Rich's" that is on the face is a duplicate of what grandma's watch had.

I'm also attaching 2 pictures of examples of the pyramid of diamonds I described. From memory, Grandma's diamonds seemed to be a larger than the first "pyramid" picture, and perhaps a tick larger than the second. I do not believe there were any diamonds on the sides of the face, as I recall the clean lines (as in the pictured Elgin).

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The initial post seems to have passed me by for some reason (maybe I was on holiday). I can tell you that "Rich's" is or was probably not really watch company Mikrolisk lists the brand as being registered in 1970 by Rich's Incorporated of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. By that time, the US watch industry had folded so it's probably made for Rich's private label rather than made or even assembled by them. This would make it more acceptable to get one that is similar or identical but possibly with a different name on the dial since other brands may have ordered the same watch with their name on the dial from the original assembler. There are several other such examples of this sort of practice from the watch industry.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The initial post seems to have passed me by for some reason (maybe I was on holiday). I can tell you that "Rich's" is or was probably not really watch company Mikrolisk lists the brand as being registered in 1970 by Rich's Incorporated of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. By that time, the US watch industry had folded so it's probably made for Rich's private label rather than made or even assembled by them. This would make it more acceptable to get one that is similar or identical but possibly with a different name on the dial since other brands may have ordered the same watch with their name on the dial from the original assembler. There are several other such examples of this sort of practice from the watch industry.

Hartmut Richter
    Wonderful information!
    My quandary now is the registration date, versus the appearance of the watch. Would an Art Deco piece have been popular in the 70's?

Would there be a means to find out who might have made the watches for Rich's? I did find a semi-recent post here by someone who received a gift of a Rich's watch by a friend who had made them for Rich's. I have messaged, hoping for contact.

Today I feel a step closer to finding an acceptable replacement. Heart-warming.
    My quest continues!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Good luck in your quest. As for the watch's manufacture date, yes, there are often "retro" style watches made. Look at the current offering of any famous watch company and you'll find loads of them. The Jaeger LeCoultre "Reverso" - the epitome of an art deco watch - is still being made in large quantities, some of them looking more modern and with horrendous complications but some looking almost the same as the 1931 version.

Hartmut Richter

ITS A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!
    I FOUND THE WATCH!
    Not just “a” watch, but Grandma’s watch!

A life-long friend gave me a sterling bracelet from Tiffany’s on her wedding day about 15 years ago. The gift came in the infamous blue Tiffany’s pouch and box. I know I’ve looked in the box at least 3 times specifically looking for the watch and at least 5 additional times going through my jewelry, as I was doing this morning.

I opened the box, felt the pouch to see if anything was in it, felt something, opened it, and there it was. I jumped up and ran to my living room where my husband and parents were. Holding it out, shaking, I exclaimed “I FOUND IT! I FOUND GRANDMA’S WATCH!” I fell into my husband’s arms crying. Upon finally looking up I see my father with watery eyes.

What a wonderful Christmas gift this is to me and my father! The watch remains in our family, I am no longer haunted by its loss, but most of all I have no doubt this was a “hello” from the former matriarch of our family letting us know she’s still watching over us.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Household6 View Post
    Again, thanks.

Kim
    Hi Kim
    Patience will pay off.
    I have waited up to 3 yrs to find some 'holy grails' in my collection

Good luck
    Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Good luck in your quest. As for the watch's manufacture date, yes, there are often "retro" style watches made. Look at the current offering of any famous watch company and you'll find loads of them. The Jaeger LeCoultre "Reverso" - the epitome of an art deco watch - is still being made in large quantities, some of them looking more modern and with horrendous complications but some looking almost the same as the 1931 version.

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information