I need a brain check on a Hamilton Electric
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I need a brain check on a Hamilton Electric

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need a brain check on a Hamilton Electric

There's an online auction for a Hamilton Electric Gemini. Price is within my limited budget. Seller has only 26 feedback, two of which are negative over shipping. The seller sells all kinds of random stuff.

No movement shot and the hands are obviously wrong. The dial looks legit. If I'm sending it out for refurbish anyway, will the hands matter? Should I just say no?

Thanks for any wisdom that you can provide. I really want a Hamilton Electric.

The auction pic:
    Name:  gemini.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  118.0 KB

The catalog pic:
    Name:  HamiltonCatalog1963_Page_09.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  77.0 KB

Re: I need a brain check on a Hamilton Electric

Hi thre,

Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    Should I just say no?
    Yes.

Buying a watch without movement pic is gambling with poor chance.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Wibbs likes this.

Thanks for talking me down from a stupid decision, Roland. I've specifically advised others not to bid without a movement picture. I should probably practice what I preach.

Item removed from watch list. If it weren't for those wrong hands this might be different, but no telling what else was done to it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Roland's done you a favour, I think. The long and short of it is that buying any Hamilton Electric unless it specifically states that a service has been done and a warranty is offered on the item, then it will require a service.

The hands were, by far, the very least of the possible issues on this article.

There are, to my knowledge, now only two guys in the world who know their way around these watches, so there are no corners to cut. Because they are hybrid electro-mechanical movements, they really need to be seen to by someone who can source replacement parts ands fettle them into shape. Lovely, lovely, lovely watches, but they require some caution. There are no budget Hamilton Electrics, repeat after me, there are no budget Hamilton Electrics. The classic description says that the seller hasn't got a battery to check that it works, and so 'may or may not run.' It won't, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    Thanks for talking me down from a stupid decision, Roland. I've specifically advised others not to bid without a movement picture. I should probably practice what I preach.

Item removed from watch list. If it weren't for those wrong hands this might be different, but no telling what else was done to it.
    Last edited by Habitant; July 24th, 2015 at 17:29.
    Giotime and Wibbs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Roland's done you a favour, I think. The long and short of it is that buying any Hamilton Electric unless it specifically states that a service has been done and a warranty is offered on the item, then it will require a service.

The hands were, by far, the very least of the possible issues on this article.

There are, to my knowledge, now only two guys in the world who know their way around these watches, so there are no corners to cut. Because they are hybrid electro-mechanical movements, they really need to be seen to by someone who can source replacement parts ands fettle them into shape. Lovely, lovely, lovely watches, but they require some caution. There are no budget Hamilton Electrics, repeat after me, there are no budget Hamilton Electrics. The classic description says that the seller hasn't got a battery to check that it works, and so 'may or may not run.' It won't, believe me.
    I was fully expecting to send it off for service, likely to Unwind in Time to avoid the Trans-Atlantic shipping hassles. (No offense meant, Electric Watches). My local shop refurbishes Accutrons and antique pocket watches all day long and said they wouldn't touch an Electric.

It seems my best bet is to keep saving until I can buy one from the two accepted masters and leave it at that. Thanks for the mantra. There are no budget Hamilton Electrics. There are no budget Hamilton Electrics.

...Unless I run across one for $20 at a flea market. Then all bets are off.
    Giotime likes this.

+1 on all this. I have wanted a Ham Electric for years. Kinda given up. Sticking with my backset Timex electrics unless like you I can find one cheap enough to get serviced fully. All my Timexes work great and get them virtually free. Certainly not as cool as Hamiltons. I got it....can we stick a Timex 67 movement in a Van Horn? I may deserve a Darwin Award for that idea.

Giotime, if you're willing to "settle" for the early European battery-powered movements, I've seen a fair few of them go by on the bay for not much money because almost nobody knows what they are. Lots of LIP R148 and Landeron 4750 lately.

Thanks. I really do like electro- mechanicals and I do in fact have a very nice 14k Hamilton Electronic. For these lips and landerons, would I just look on ebay under those headings or are there certain watch co in particular that have these mechanisms.

I do have a few Hamilton Electrics and adore them. But this love has come at quite a price. I also have a couple of Hamilton Electronics and think they're pretty nifty, too. Are Hamilton Electrics worth saving for? You bet. As you may have noticed from previous threads, I fell off the wagon again recently and bought a white gold Saturn at auction for a good price. My dilemma now is whether or not to fix the 500A it came with or upgrade it to 505. Both quite expensive options, sigh. But damn it all, it's fine looking watch.

My advice (as always) don't get too stuck on eBay. There are a lot of second rate Hamiltons being flogged (as previous) that 'may or may not work.' The deal I got at a trade auction was better than I would have got on eBay. If you know something, and dealers do, why suffer people bidding stuff up from 5 days away (and so on). Especially in the US, there are plenty of really decent watch auctions well away from eBay. Free yourself from your habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    Thanks. I really do like electro- mechanicals and I do in fact have a very nice 14k Hamilton Electronic. For these lips and landerons, would I just look on ebay under those headings or are there certain watch co in particular that have these mechanisms.

Habitant. I now monitor but buy less and less from ebay. These alternative auctions you speak of....are you talking about live auctions? And how does one find these. Never come across one, but can't say I've explored it either ...thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information