I need help!!!

Thread: I need help!!!

I need help!!!

Hi Guys,
    I need help with a couple of things.

First, I did a thread search of the straps and bracelet forum to see if there was any info for first timer's wanting to start taking off and putting on straps and bracelets. I might have worded the query incorrectly because I didn't come up with anything. Can any of you give me some direction or advice on what tools I might need and maybe videos of people doing the "deed" so to speak.I am a bit nervous to do this, but I would like to learn this skill.

Second, I would like some suggestions for a strap on a watch I just bought. It is a Russian Raketa Copernicus wind up. The case case and dial are black. I am leaning towards a black leather strap or maybe a black lizard strap. The diminsions of the watch are:
    Case size, 35 mm
    dial size, 32 mm
    thickness of the watch, 10 mm
    band thickness, 18 mm

Thanks in advance for helping out a poor lost soul....
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I need help!!!

Strap changing is pretty simple. You should pick it up pretty quickly, but if you get frustrated with something put it away and come back to it later.
    IMO magnification is very important. I see lots of watches that are scratched from installing and removing bands. This is less likely when you can see up close what is going on.
    I always work from the back.
    Sometimes a bit of painters tape isn't a bad idea to protect adjacent areas.
    You'll need a spring bar tool or something similar. A good tool should be ~$10.
    There are different types of spring bars: embracable, double shoulder, double flange...I like the double flange shown at the top of the last pic. I do lots of band swaps, and they're easy to grab with the forked end of the tool.

Last edited by timesofplenty; April 9th, 2010 at 17:01.

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Strap removal

The strap is held on with a spring bar. You slip a tool between the strap and the inside edge of the lug and press down on the spring bar while sliding the tool sideways towards the middle of the bar.

You're trying to get the spring loaded pin at the end of the spring bar to retract into the hollow centre section of the bar.

You can do it with a knife, but it is much easier to get a spring bar tool which is kind of like a very tiny fork. You can get these on ebay or your local watch tool supply place.

You may be able to reuse the spring bars on the new strap but they sometimes seize up and/or break so you might need replacement spring bars for the new strap. These are for sale at the same places that sell spring bar tools. Often they come with new straps.

Strap suggestions

I agree with you that a black strap would be best. A relatively thin one since a thick one would overwhelm the watch.

Likely black stitching, but one with white stitching would match the white markers on the dial and make it a little sportier.

I would stay away from nylon, rubber, silicon, or even metal bracelet on this one .. it wouldn't look right.

Shark or stingray would complement the dial, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by timesofplenty View Post
    Shark or stingray would complement the dial, IMO.
    I agree with the stingray. However as you (without doubt will) buy more straps to suit your watches, you will discover the pleasure of being able to combine any watch to the strap configuration you feel would look best.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

A fellow in the straps forum p.m.'d about making a strap for me. He has some alligator belly that he thought would look good on it. He wanted to make it shinny and I assumed that he would color it black. He suggested a stitching that would match the gold or bronze of the markers and hour disc.

Thank you all for the info on changing straps. I don't have a huge collection of watches, but I definitely have been itching to experiment with different straps and bracelets. The people that belong to WUS have been so incredibly nice and helpful to me. Visiting the vintage forum and reading all the posts and such is sometimes the highlight of my day. It takes my mind off of work and gives me information I enjoy learning. Anyway, many thanks again!
    Have a great weekend!!!
    Chris

Thread Information