I need help!

Thread: I need help!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I need help!

Hi! I'm Laura, a friend of Jeannie (GinGinD) and I am new to watchuseek. I am a writer researching vintage pocket watches and I have so many questions. The subject is so confusing! I hope someone can help me.

1. What is a detent escapement?
    2. How do you wind a Hory Oignion?
    3. Are fusee’s still in pocket watches?
    4. Did pocket watches have apertures for day, date, month, and phases of the moon prior to 1700?
    5. Do any pocket watches prior to 1700 need a key to be wound?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Laura
    Last edited by GinGinD; May 27th, 2010 at 18:30.

Re: I need help!

Hi and welcome.

I know nothing about pocket watches, but I'm sure those that do will be along shortly.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauramal View Post
    Hi! I'm Laura, a friend of Jeannie Dees (Gingind) and I am new to watchuseek. I am a writer researching vintage pocket watches and I have so many questions. The subject is so confusing! I hope someone can help me.

1. What is a detent escapement?
    2. How do you wind a Hory Oignion?
    3. Are fusee’s still in pocket watches?
    4. Did pocket watches have apertures for day, date, month, and phases of the moon prior to 1700?
    5. Do any pocket watches prior to 1700 need a key to be wound?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Laura
    Doesn't researching things involve some actual research?
    I do not wish to be rude, but as a writer shouldn't you be able to do this research yourself?

Public libraries frequently don't have the books in stock, but they can frequently get them in from reference libraries. And of course the internet (and Google) can probably find all the information you need.

As a starting point, may I reccomend Watches by David Thompson & Saul Peckham. Very well illustrated, and it predominantly focuses on early watches.

Very, very brief responses (Google can elaborate ):

1. Google it. It can provide everything you need. OTOH, it is very well covered in the literature.
    2. Do you mean an oignon watch? A very antiquated style of French watch, it'll be a key-wind
    3. Yes, but pocket watches (I believe) are no longer manufactured with them. George Daniels is an exception - I believe some of his watches have fusees. There may be many others.
    4. Almost certainly yes. See p.44 of Watches - an utterly beautiful example c. 1650 (and there are earlier examples). It is, however, a coach watch.
    5. Generally (always, I think)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually, she has researched it. But because she's new to horology, she doesn't always understand the answers she's finding. That's why I suggested she come here.

Jeannie
    Last edited by GinGinD; May 27th, 2010 at 18:35.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    Actually, she has researched it. But because she's new to horology, she doesn't always understand the answers she's finding. That's why I suggested she come here.

Jeannie
    Being new, can I direct her to the basics of watches? I tried to write this in plain English:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...our-watch.html

There are a few pocket watch collectors here but I don't know if they're collections date back as far as she needs. The NAWCC forums have a few members who might be able to help so it's worth a try. I've also heard of a few books that discuss watch evolution which may be worth looking into like The History of Watches by David Thompson. (this is the one R_T_H mentions above?) I think this starts in the mid 1500's through modern times.

Laura, will you let us preview or see your article when you're done?
    Last edited by ulackfocus; May 27th, 2010 at 18:46.

I suggest "Pendant and Pocket Watches 1500-1950" by C. Jeanenne Bell, it has good introductory explanation of what you seek.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Based on reseach I did previously, at GinGin's request, I believe Laura is doing background research for a historical novel. The best person on this board for Laura to address her questions to is rrmelle.

Banned

BTW Laura - check your PMs (private messages) for a couple of people you should contact.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I've also heard of a few books that discuss watch evolution which may be worth looking into like The History of Watches by David Thompson. (this is the one R_T_H mentions above?) I think this starts in the mid 1500's through modern times.

Laura, will you let us preview or see your article when you're done?
    Sounds exactly the same, but my edition/imprint/whatever is just titled 'Watches':

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Watches-Davi...dp/071415055X/

It really is good. In addition, it includes some social context - which may be useful for your purposes. After all, watches were pretty rare - not in the hands of your average peasant. Also, styles of wearing were different compare to how pocket watches are worn now. I believe they were generally worn around the neck - conspicuous consumption!

Given your questions a detent escapement seems out of the question (pre-1700s versus date of invention, 1748).

I'm sorry if I sounded rude earlier; I phrased my opinions bluntly (too bluntly).

"Doesn't researching things involve some actual research?
    I do not wish to be rude, but as a writer shouldn't you be able to do this research yourself?"

Hmm... that's exactly what I am doing! Watchuseek came highly recommended and I was sure your most esteemed members would steer me in the right direction.
    Thank you for your answers and I appreciate the quick reply, too!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information