I need an opinion

Thread: I need an opinion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need an opinion

hi everybody
    I just purcesed this nice girard perregaux from ebay and i need an opinion about the age of the watch and an estimate value.
    It has a solid gold case,
    the size of the watch is 26mm without crown, 36mm lug to lug.
    thank you

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I need an opinion

We can't do valuations, but for most vintages the bulk of the value is in the gold content. This is a bit of a unusual movement; if the number on the bridge is 91AE, it's a 9x10''' Girard Perregaux movement that's based on the Peseux 250. Dr. Ranftt's import code list doesn't show AXO or AXQ (not sure which is written on the balance cock), but I'd guess that's the import code for Anderson Brothers Inc. Not sure what their relationship was with GP.

The watch itself seems to be a good quality movement. No shock protection, the square design and the sub-second dial suggest 30's or 40's to me.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

This is a little off topic -but I thought Watch houses like G. P. made all their own movements- evidently not? Whats the story? ..{Madpuku: A beautiful classic Deco type watch!!...... G.P, is next on my wish list but I want I G.P. movement as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i know GP used some AS and ETA, but i'm not that well-versed in their history.

edit-

this thread on teh purists has some good info.

http://gp.watchprosite.com/show-foru...ti-281256/s-0/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    This is a little off topic -but I thought Watch houses like G. P. made all their own movements- evidently not?
    Many manufacturers used outsourced movements AND made their own in-house ones. VC, PP, and AP made their own complicated calibers but relied on JLC for the more basic ebauchés. Omega had the in-house 55x/56x/75x series yet used Lemania manual wind chronographs for the 321 and 861 calibers. Longines had plenty of in-house manual, automatics and chronographs yet still used the Valjoux 72 (renamed the Longines 330 and 332), a few different Record movements (Longines acquired the company in 1961), a Cyma 480 (rebadged as the Longines 380) and even a Marvin 700 series manual wind (modified slightly to become the Longines 490). Piaget had their famous ultra-thin 9P manual and 12P auto, but before those were introduced around 1960 they used Felsa Bidynator autos.

Based on Bestfit, GP used movements from A. Schild, Peseux, ETA, FHF, Universal, FEF, Felsa, and Unitas. Assuming I'm interpreting the "Movement Interchangeability" column properly.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

From the little I know of GP, they only started making "some" of their movements in the last couple of decades

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post
    From the little I know of GP, they only started making "some" of their movements in the last couple of decades
    GP was the designer of the first quartz movement from which all modern quartz are descended (350) in 1970. They sold these movements to IWC(?), FL, and JLC. They continued building their own quartz movements until about 1980 when they switched to Eta quartz movements. (I have a small collection of the GP movements and will post up pics when I make them.)

The GP quartz movements are usually 7 jeweled gold plated construction with trimmer capacitors. They represented a distinct improvement on the 350s and are comparable to the multiple early Omega and Longines quartz movements. However, I know of no external companies who used them... which may be why external sourcing from Eta was the chosen path for GP quartz movements after the quartz revolution.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to mechanical movements.

Out of curiousity, do they still make quartz watches? Do they make their own movements for them?

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to mechanical movements.

Out of curiousity, do they still make quartz watches? Do they make their own movements for them?
    It was not meant as a correction. Rather, a supplement to the discussion.

GP has not made quartz movements since about 1980. But they sell a lot of quartz, still, like Ebel (who still makes their own quartz movements -- in conjunction with Piaget, I believe).
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information