I need some advice on an old Hamilton

Thread: I need some advice on an old Hamilton

I need some advice on an old Hamilton

A friend gave me an old Hamilton that does not work and I was looking for some advice as to whether it is worth repairing. It is an automatic movement and the back is engraved with the year 1958. Once I opened it up it appears to have a Hamilton 661 caliber movement. From poking around on the 'net it looks like this is actually a Kurth Freres 28.45 caliber movement.

Here are a couple of pics that I took of the watch. (Sorry for the quality.)

The first shows the movement. The rotor reads "HAMILTON WATCH Co 661 Seventeen 17 Jewels"

Here is a shot of the dial.

I like the look of the watch but I don't have any sort of sentimental attachment to it. The rotor spins and the hands move via the crown, but the watch doesn't run at all.

So what advice would yall give me?

Re: I need some advice on an old Hamilton

That is a fairly high quality movement, Kurth Freres, is Certina when making watches under it's own brand name. There is a very good chance that all that watch needs is a service and a mainspring. A service is mostly labor, so costs vary, depending on where you live. It will be good for 7 to 10 years, if done with all synthetic oils, so not bad when prorated. A mainspring should be $10 to $20 unless it's an oddball size.

Thread Information