Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Molliedooker
  • 1 Post By Molliedooker
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: I think this is an old redial

I think this is an old redial

Very tempted to bid on this and give it a service but in comparing to the Omega site the dial is not right. All the numbers point to it being a 1941 US army issue
    "Omega 16 jewel cal 30T2.SC 1940 mechanical rare vintage gents watch - stainless steel screw back (internal Omega brand markings, ID (case ) number 2179/6) and steel case, cream face (discolouration) with gold Arabic / dot hour markers, black outer minute track, silver / luminescent hands, black seconds, Omega signed cal 30T2.SC 16 jewel movement, serial number 10****67. Case 36 mm excl crown.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/382114585751?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What do you think
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Molliedooker; June 11th, 2017 at 11:11.
    busmatt and georges zaslavsky like this.

Re: I think this is an old redial

Quote Originally Posted by Molliedooker View Post
    Very tempted to bid on this and give it a service but in comparing to the Omega site the dial is not right. All the numbers point to it being a 1941 US army issue
    "Omega 16 jewel cal 30T2.SC 1940 mechanical rare vintage gents watch - stainless steel screw back (internal Omega brand markings, ID (case ) number 2179/6) and steel case, cream face (discolouration) with gold Arabic / dot hour markers, black outer minute track, silver / luminescent hands, black seconds, Omega signed cal 30T2.SC 16 jewel movement, serial number 10****67. Case 36 mm excl crown.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/382114585751?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What do you think
    Agreed with you, it is indeed an old redial. Normally if correctly redialed, there should have been arabic luminous numbers on the whole dial.I don't know if there are good redialers in your area but besides service overhaul costs, a top quality redial costs a lot of money as well. Good luck and good hunting
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thanks Georges ,
    . No idea about redialers over here.
    As much as my heart says have a go and bid my head says keep looking.
    georges zaslavsky likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not a redial. The Omega logo looks correct, so does the font. The dial is simply worn, that's all. Comparing it to US military issued pieces is not necessary, as the lack of markings on that specimen identifies it as perfectly civilian piece. Since the reference is 2179/6, it can be safe to assume, that at least 6 other versions of the reference exist, that including different dial versions.

The only issue seems to be the hands, which appear to have been relumed.
    georges zaslavsky and bubba48 like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I like this reference a lot and have looked at them before. There are a number of dial variants, and some have markers of various types replacing some of the numerals. As mkws described, the overall quality and wear/aging are consistent with it being original; however, I have not seen this particular dial before. Certainly it would make me more comfortable if I could find some other examples with the same dial.
    georges zaslavsky likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks everybody. These old Omegas can be an absolute minefield even after consulting the Official vintage Omega site.
    Initially I was drawn to this calibre from an article about the RAF issue and then I saw one for sale advertised by a well known dealer in antique watches here as US army issue for $1250aud (I know not much in real dollars).
    From above info turns out it is probably civilian issue as 'railway track' is missing inner rail ,the positioning of the Arabic numerals differ and ref is 2179/2. I thought I might be onto a bargain even with the one sold on eBay today. "If it's too good to be true........"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Molliedooker; June 11th, 2017 at 23:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Molliedooker View Post
    Thanks everybody. These old Omegas can be an absolute minefield even after consulting the Official vintage Omega site.
    Initially I was drawn to this calibre from an article about the RAF issue and then I saw one for sale advertised by a well known dealer in antique watches here as US army issue for $1250aud (I know not much in real dollars).
    From above info turns out it is probably civilian issue as 'railway track' is missing inner rail ,the positioning of the Arabic numerals differ and ref is 2179/2. I thought I might be onto a bargain even with the one sold on eBay today. "If it's too good to be true........"
    Well, this one is a redial for sure... The font is a disaster.

As to RAF-issued Omegas, there were four: the WWW (by the end of the war, 1944-1945), the 6B/159 (also as "HS8" for the Fleet Air Arm), the 6B/542 (ref. CK 2777, early 1950s, in use for a decade or two), and the Weems (then again, I'm mostly familiar with the ones issued to the Aussie RAAF).

If you''re planning to get an Omega that was actually issued, the Omega Vintage Database will not be enough. However, the WWW, 6B/159 and 6B/542 are documented well, and there's a lot of info about them on the Internets.
    badbackdan likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Well, this one is a redial for sure... The font is a disaster.

As to RAF-issued Omegas, there were four: the WWW (by the end of the war, 1944-1945), the 6B/159 (also as "HS8" for the Fleet Air Arm), the 6B/542 (ref. CK 2777, early 1950s, in use for a decade or two), and the Weems (then again, I'm mostly familiar with the ones issued to the Aussie RAAF).

If you''re planning to get an Omega that was actually issued, the Omega Vintage Database will not be enough. However, the WWW, 6B/159 and 6B/542 are documented well, and there's a lot of info about them on the Internets.
    And obviously one should expect a significant price premium for an issued example, all things being equal.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thread Information