The iconic and most collectible wristwatches though our time.Listed A-Z By Brand.
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The iconic and most collectible wristwatches though our time.Listed A-Z By Brand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The iconic and most collectible wristwatches though our time.Listed A-Z By Brand.

Dear Fellow WUS-vintage members.

I am trying to compile a list of the most iconic/valuable/collectible/beautiful vintage watches. I would love your help adding manufacturs and watchtypes to the list.
    It can be designwise, movementwise or just the most beautifull model of it´s time.

Reasons can include but are not limited by: Watch worn on a historic time or worn by a historic person (f.e. Watch first worn on the moon or Watch worn by Formula One drivers during it´s time). Watch has introduced a mechanical advance / milestone (thinnest movement, Lightest movement...), Watch is a nice example of a ´lost´ watch brand (that has been since revived or not) (f.e. Angelus (Luxo)Datograph, Enicar KonTiki ). Watch is extremely rare due to certain reasons. Watch was issued to a military service. etc.

I will try to edit this first post as much as I can and hopefully create a comprehensive list of vintage wristwatches.

Any ideas on the layout of this list etc. are welcome as well.
    In time I would like this to become as complete as possible.
    I will link from this post to your post so please use a somewhat decent language and posting style.

Criteria to go on the list:

- Watch must be from before 1990
    - Watch must use an Automatic or Mechanical movement (Exceptions can be made, f.e. Omega F300Hz , Thermic movements etc.)
    - The poster must provide a good quality photo of the watch in question
    - The poster must state the reason behind him wanting it on the list.
    - The poster must provide adequate information about the production year, movement number etc.

F.e.:
    The Omega Speedmaster ST145.012-67 made from 1966 (67 the year Buzz wore) to 1968 uses the Omega Calibre 321. (Based of the Lemania 2310). It was the watch Buzz Alldrin wore and so becoming the first watch to set foot on the moon. (Armstrong left his watch in the cockpit to replace a broken timer).

[IMG]http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/06/13/aldrin132way-aab34a0fcd820c778be8c046dc696d1467339cfa-s6-c30.jpg[IMG]
    [IMG]http://oi60.tinypic.com/2ykm3rd.jpg[IMG]

A
    A. Favre et Fils
    A. Lange & Sohne
    Alpina
    Angelus
    Arcadia
    Armand Nicolet
    Atlantic
    Audemars Piguet

B
    Backes & Strauss
    Baume et Mercier
    Ball
    Bedat & Co
    Bell and Ross
    Benrus
    Binda
    Blanchet
    Blancpain
    Bovet Fleurier
    Breguet
    Breitling
    Bulova

C
    Cartier
    Certina
    Chopard
    Citizen
    Corum
    Concord
    D
    Doxa
    Dueber-Hamden

E
    Ebel
    Edox
    Elgin
    Enicar
    Ernest Borel
    Eterna

F
    Festina
    Fortis
    FP Journe
    Fréderique Constant
    G
    Gallet
    Girard-Perregaux
    Glycine
    Greubel
    Gruen
    H
    Hamilton
    Heuer
    - Carrera 1163
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ico...ml#post8183367
    - Autavia 1163T
    - Monaco 1133B

I
    Illinois Watchco
    Ingersoll
    International

J
    Jaeger Lecoultre
    Jaquet-Droz
    John Arnold
    Junghans

K
    Kienzle
    L
    Longines
    M
    Mathey-Tissot
    Maurice Lacroix
    Mido
    Moinet
    Movado
    N
    Nivada
    Nomos
    O
    Omega
    -Speedmaster ST145.012 [https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ico...ml#post8182420]
    Orfina
    Oris
    P
    Panerai
    Patek Philippe
    Piaget
    Poljot

Q
    R
    Rado
    Raketa
    Raymond Weil
    Roger Dubuis
    Richard Mille
    Roamer
    Rodania

Rolex
    - Oyster Perpetual COSC White
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ico...ml#post8183411
    S
    Sandoz
    Sector
    Seiko
    Sinn
    Solvil et Titus
    Stowa

T
    Tissot
    Tourneau
    Tudor

U
    Ulysse-Nardin
    Universal

V
    Vacheron Constantin
    Vostok

W
    Waltham

X
    Y
    Yema
    Z
    Zenith
    - El Primero 386
    Zodiac
    Last edited by GhentWatch; August 4th, 2014 at 21:44.
    Smoking Joe likes this.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Re: The iconic and most collectible wristwatches though our time.Listed A-Z By Brand.

Reserved

Re: The iconic and most collectible wristwatches though our time.Listed A-Z By Brand.

Reserved2

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Reserved3

The Omega Speedmaster ST145.012-67 made from 1966 (67 the year Buzz wore) to 1968 uses the Omega Calibre 321. (Based of the Lemania 2310). It was the watch Buzz Alldrin wore and so becoming the first watch to set foot on the moon. (Neil Armstrong left his watch in the cockpit to replace a broken timer).

James A likes this.

The iconic and most collectible wristwatches though our time.Listed A-Z By B...

Omega :) I love this too.
    Last edited by lpirot; August 4th, 2014 at 20:29.

Heuer Monaco 1133B One of three other watches that Heuer launched the Chronomatic Calibre 11 in in 1969. At that time marketed as the first Automatic self winding chronograph (Despite the Zenith El Primero being first. This particular model was worn by Steve McQueen in the famous LeMans movie in 1971. He borrowed Jo Siffert´s racing suit and Siffert gave him a Monaco to wear in the movie.

Heuer Autavia 1163TOne of three other watches that Heuer launched the Chronomatic Calibre 11 in in 1969. At that time marketed as the first Automatic self winding chronograph (Despite the Zenith El Primero being first. This particular model was Jo Siffert (the famous F1 driver) watch of choice. He was sponsored by Heuer and became the first Authenticated Distributor of Heuer Watches internationally.

Heuer Carrera 1163 One of three other watches that Heuer launched the Chronomatic Calibre 11 in in 1969. At that time marketed as the first Automatic self winding chronograph (Despite the Zenith El Primero being first.

Zenith El Primero A386 The actual first automatic Chronograph in the world. Released in 1969

James A likes this.

Rolex Oyster Perpetual White This watch was worn on the First ever expedition to the summit of the Mount Everest by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1952. The watch was actually worn by Tenzin Norgay because Sir Emdund Hillary would wear his Smith´s watch on the summit.

James A likes this.

I'd add Eberhard and co to the list.

They launched the wrist chronograph in 1919 and made some very stunning watches

Name:  IMG_1101_zpsdd33779d.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  72.3 KB

Matt
    James A, Apollonaught and saxoo like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Very clearly, Chronographe Suisse.

Are they a brand? Well - if you define 'brand' as 'something put on a dial beneath the 12' then clearly "yes, they are." Even though 'Chronographe Suisse' was an assembly of watch companies founded to produce and market affordable chronographs made possible by Landeron's introduction of the cam-operated (and thus mass-producible) chronograph.

Their historical significance: they brought the chronograph finally to the man in the street and thus prepared the market for later mass-market chronograph producers like Seiko and Citizen.

Equally clearly: the West End Watch Co. Founded initially as the British Empire outlet for Alcide Droz & Fils of St. Imier, Switzerland, 'West End Watch Co.' became as much as a household name for "good, reliable watch" in India. At least some men in Lawrence of Arabia's regiment in the First World War wore them and they equipped pretty much all of the British-Indian Civil Service from the 1920s to the end of British rule in India, and for several decades later supplied the Indian Civil Service, Indian railways and the Indian Armed Forces. Practically each Indian watchmaker learned his trade on one of the many West End Watches sold there

And, by the way, West End Watches (especially those of the 1920s and 1930s) bear an eclectic choice of movements - besides ETA, FHF and AS you can find even Longines movements in them.

Note, though, that the arrow on their backs (contrary to what many ebay sellers want to make you believe) has nothing to do with a military past for this particular watch: it is the mark where the watchmaker ought to go with his tool to pry open the back.

Best,
    Tomcat
    James A, busmatt and saxoo like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information