ID of vintage Bulova please
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ID of vintage Bulova please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID of vintage Bulova please

Hi all,

I cannot identify the model name of this Bulova I've had for several years.
    I haven't seen a coin bezel like it.
    Sorry about low quality pic.

Thanks in advance.

Re: ID of vintage Bulova please

I forgot to mention, it has a 11afak movement in it.
    I don't think it's a Sea Clipper - I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself can chime in..

Can you read the date code off of the back? Likely an M or N followed by a number. That'll narrow it down a lot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, thanks for your reply. The number is M0.
    All help is appreciated.

Sorry again! It's an 11AFAC movement stamped M3.
    Seems strange the movement and case are manufactured several years apart.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

In that case, they may have ended up together many, many years after both were made. In other words: the whole watch may very well have been frankenised!

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    In that case, they may have ended up together many, many years after both were made. In other words: the whole watch may very well have been frankenised!

Hartmut Richter
    Well if it all came from the same manufacturer, it may be a marriage, but not a franken

Regards
    JP71624 likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

In mass production, a gap of three years can occur... in theory. Cases from different production series are sometimes 2-3 years older than the movement. For instance, in Tissot. A 1938 movement in a 1935 case would be nothing strange. I've seen this happen, with the movement being perfectly correct for the model. Assuming that the calibre is correct, 1963 movement in a 1960 case would be justified by the precedent, on which I base my hypothesis.
    I don't know how about that happening in a Bulova, though. The disadvantage of my theory is, that although the manufacturing processes were most likely the same, it's still two different brands. If the model- whatever variant it is of whatever "name"- has the correct calibre, I guess that there isn't much of a way to prove it being a franken- or, as pointed out earlier, a marriage watch. The case and movement might have ended up together in the Bulova factory, just as well as after leaving it. Without more evidence disproving either the "franken" theory, or the "mass production time gap" theory, I'd say it's a 50% chance for any of the two being correct. Well, I might be wrong- in that case, all Bulova-knowledgeable folks- feel free to enlighten me, since some more knowledge is always welcome!
    Addictedtowatches likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Well if its ALL Bulova it can not be a franken.
    A
    JP71624 likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Usually, I stick to the definition of a frankenwatch as a watch built of components of different watches. Simple definition- heard it somewhere, and ever since then I used to stick to it. I guess my confusion originates in the definition not specifying, whether these components come from watches of the same brand or not, in order for the piece to be called a franken. I did often wonder, whether the terms "marriage" and "franken" are synonymous- certainly I've heard them used in cases of watches being either made of components from one brand, as well as multiple brands. I guess that my confusion is also a result of seeing these terms applied in both cases- just to make it clear, I do not justify their incorrect application.
    Thanks ever so much for clarifying the terms.
    bobbee likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information