Identification needed - Neova ATP & Incabloc

Hi,

would like to identify/date these two watches:
    (1) Neova ATP - seems to have been part of the
    (2) Incabloc - this is the only thing it has written

thanks in advance for any help provided
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Identification needed - Neova ATP & Incabloc

ATP? Doubtful, but I guess it could have been redialed at some point. Neova is registered to Buser Freres & Co. SA, which isn't one of the recorded suppliers of ATP wristwatches, but since the watches were mostly built using standard ebauches, dials could have been swapped. Far more likely, though, that someone with a cheap engraver was trying to improve the value.

Incabloc, as you probably know, is a shock protection system; that watch is likely either promotional watch sold by the Incabloc company to promote their shock protection, or is a form of "sterile" dial that was expected to have some small watch company/reseller's name added to it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

As Rob says... ATP, doubtful.

The dial would never have been supplied on a Army Trade Pattern watch.... and Im quite certain I have not seen a ATP with snap on case back.... Think all are screw case (other than the Ebel 2 part case - mine below). Also, the crown looks correct for the case (could have been replaced), but very small and thin for a ATP. Also, Im not sure the 'fixed' lug bars were always fixed - hard to tell from the pics

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks very much for the insightful info. I guess someone else might have fell for the ATP thing too!!
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/neova-atp-893485.html

Would an ATP watch also have ATP engraved on the calibre or inside?

re Incabloc yes was aware of the system. Wasn't aware there are watches which would come out without any manufacturer name on them.

You always learn more with watches!!

Quote Originally Posted by st3fan_ View Post
    Not that I've ever seen, and it would be doubtful anyway; the engraving was done by the Military after receiving the watch; you wouldn't want them doing that on the movement or inside, due to the risk of getting metal filings in the movement. Plus, too much work. The whole point of the ATP spec was as a "filler" specification during the run up to WWII designed to allow the war department to purchase essentially "off the shelf" swiss wristwatches for military use; it was replaced by the WWW specification once they finalized it.

Most of these watches were titled "General Service" "TEMPORARY PATTERN" time pieces and stamped "GSTP" OR "ATP".

These GSTP/ATP watches would become the work horse of the military. From Radio operators to drivers, they fulfilled the requirements of keeping time through out the war.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT :
    1944-REVUE-SPORT-ATP-BROADARROW-BRITISH-WWII-WATCH

AND NO
    ATP would ONLY be on back of case
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; December 12th, 2013 at 22:13.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by st3fan_ View Post
    thanks very much for the insightful info. I guess someone else might have fell for the ATP thing too!!
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/neova-atp-893485.html

Yours and the one in the link look very similar - case design, hands, crown.... I dont have any reference books to hand, so cant double check... certainly seems odd. As Rob has said in both threads.... there are no records of Neova supplying the military... and they certainly dont fit the requirements of a military person.

never seen ATP markings on the inside or movement!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    [Most of these watches were titled "General Service" "TEMPORARY PATTERN" time pieces and stamped "GSTP" OR "ATP".
    Never heard of the British issued ATP watches being referred to as 'temporary pattern'. That's a new one on me!

Army Trade Pattern (my choice)

Army Temporary Pattern

Army TimePiece

Just spent some time trying to find a definitive answer... Depends where you read and from what country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by Sparcster; December 12th, 2013 at 23:54.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Never heard of the British issued ATP watches being referred to as 'temporary pattern'. That's a new one on me!

Army Trade Pattern (my choice)

Army Temporary Pattern

Army TimePiece

Just spent some time trying to find a definitive answer... Depends where you read and from what country!
    I've always felt "Temporary" was the most credible option; the British realized they didn't have the time pieces they needed for the war that was clearly brewing, so they created a quick temporary specification to allow them to purchase the Watches. "Trade" never really made sense to me, and "TimePiece" is redundant (although it is the military we're talking about).

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I've always felt "Temporary" was the most credible option; the British realized they didn't have the time pieces they needed for the war that was clearly brewing, so they created a quick temporary specification to allow them to purchase the Watches. "Trade" never really made sense to me, and "TimePiece" is redundant (although it is the military we're talking about).
    Annoyingly, there is a web result (googled ww2 army trade pattern) from:
    British Horological Institute - Military Watch Information
    www.royalsignals.org.uk/.../watch.htm

Which reads:

The first watch issued to the British armed forces was approved on .... It seems safe to assume that supplies of both 'pattern' and 'trade pattern' watches came from the British watch trade.

However, when clicking the link, it says I don't have access!

My limited understanding was, the army used different 'pattens'.... Trade pattern being one of them.

Checking the MWR (military watch resource) forum, this conversation comes up every now and then... Never an answer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by Sparcster; December 13th, 2013 at 00:38.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thread Information