Identification of pocket watches
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Identification of pocket watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identification of pocket watches

Greetings to you all.
    I would like to ask you for help with the identification of pocket watches I received as a gift. I managed to find out they are swiss made silver-minted in Romanshorn. And should be from 1908-1920(1933). But I'm definitely not an expert so your help is needed.

Thank you for your time and I'm looking forward to learn more about this piece of history.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Identification of pocket watches

The watch has a Zenith movement with a Reed's (swan neck) regulator.

So does that mean they are made from various parts and thus are not historical?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, it does not mean it's franken
    INTACT was a trade mark of Zenith, look here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    pithy likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

So is that good? I'm not gonna sell them but still wonder what they are. And ideas about the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Elssir View Post
    So is that good? I'm not gonna sell them but still wonder what they are. And ideas about the time?
    I'm sure he will respond back but Yes, that is good! :)
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Well I'm really an absolute amateur when it comes to watches so not sure if I understand it all. But it told me they are from 1890-1915 is that possible or I just did something wrong? Oh and about the red digits. I guess they are not original and were writen later on. Is that correct? (Seems like made by hand to me)

But it told me they are from 1890-1915 is that possible or I just did something wrong?
    Who is "it" and what are "they"? Based on the style it could certainly be from that era, but since "1900" is indicated on the inner case, I doubt it was from before then.

Oh and about the red digits. I guess they are not original and were writen later on. Is that correct? (Seems like made by hand to me)
    Decals. You can remove them fairly easily from the porcelain dial.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Oh so I can remove the red numbers? If they are really added later on.

Well I was trying to understand the page that was posted few responds before. But now I'm sure it was not right. I don't understand watches enough for that.

And yes. I realized it can't be older then 1900 second after a sent that reply. But to be honest the date I was mostly just guessing because of the back depiction of a french soldier which I was thinking would be weird to do in 1933. But once again my knowledge is almost zero. I wanna learn though

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek! That is a wonderful watch that you have there - it is indeed a Zenith watch (or technically: a George Favre-Jacot watch of the "Intact" brand). The founder of the company was George Favre-Jacot and until ca. 1900, it was mandatory that Swiss companies reflected the owner's name. The products were then sold under a variety of brand names and "Intact" was one of GF-J's brand names. Others were "Billodes", "Diogene" and, as of 1897, "Zenith" and the latter became the company name in 1911 after the restriction had been lifted.

The movement is one of the "Zenith" range of movements - it is of the "N" Series so it's correct designation would (probably) be 19'''-N. The 19''' is the size of the movement in old french lignes, 19''' being ca. 43mm (of which 40-41mm would be visible from the back). If it's smaller, there will be a different number in the movement designation, reflecting the different size. It was used until ca. 1905 when it was replaced by the modern Zenith movement range (although old stock was still used up for a while afterwards). The case inscription shows that it must be post-1900.

The red hand written numbers were certainly added post hoc. I think that they look rather ugly and would have them removed. Still, if you think otherwise, please retain them - it's your watch. The case is really wonderful, I believe the technique to apply the pattern is "niello".

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information