Identification of Vintage Watch
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Identification of Vintage Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identification of Vintage Watch

Hi Folks

I hope someone might be able to help me with the following:

My mother recently gave me my grandfather's gold wrist watch, which he wore up to his death in 1972. I don't expect it to be valuable, as my grandparents never had so much as two brass farthings, however it does have a lot of sentimental value.
    The case looks like rose gold, and is roughly square, but with a round enamelled dial. There is a small second hand subdial at 6 o'clock. The numerals are in black, except for the 12, which is red. There is no maker's identification. The hands look like blued steel, and are of a "Breguet" style, but the hoops are elongated.It is hinged front and back, allowing it to be opened. The crown, I believe has been replaced since it is a different colour gold to the rest of the watch. Inside, there is likewise no identification, only the words "Swiss made" stamped on the movement adjacent to the winding crown. There is a hallmark on the inside of the case back, showing it to be 9 carat gold, imported into the UK and stamped with the London assay office import mark. The case also bears the sponsors mark GS which I believe means that the case was assayed and reassembled by George Stockwell of London. From what I can make out, the date designation is an Italic letter "m" which indicates 1927, which tallies with the fact that I believe it was a 21st Birthday present to my grandfather from his parents. There is also a stamped serial number 105128, along with multiple numbers which have been etched or engraved, presumably by watchmakers.

The watch, after gently winding, does still run, but would probably benefit from a clean and service, if it's worth doing. I'm also curious to know it it's likely to have had a strap or a bracelet if it's possible to determine such a thing.

i have attached some photos, but I would like to know the maker if possible, or whether it's just a generic "gold watch".

Thanks in advance

Concretecow

Attached Images Attached Images

tinknocker and LightDot like this.

Re: Identification of Vintage Watch

I tried to identify the movement for a couple of days now but without success. Can you give us the diameter of the watch movement? It would help a bit. The movement looks well finished.

Of course it is worth a lot, it is a item from a family member. This is a heirloom and worth spending the money for servicing. Pick a watchmaker that services pocket watches as this would have been considered a pocket watch movement originally(the first generation wrist watches for men were watches with small pocket watch movements in them)

9K (or 9ct in the UK) was entry level gold (much like 10k gold is in the USA) and would have been the lowest karat gold that the UK would have considered true gold. In the USA 9k is used in dental work.

The case is George Stockwell but the movement was probably a movement that could be bought at most watch shops in the UK at the time. Sometimes the watchmaker might engrave his name on it but a lot of them that I have seen don't have any markings on it.

The watch would have come on a leather strap that you opened up and attached it to the watch and then fastened the end down with a screw or clip. It will also work with a nylon pull through strap.
    Concretecow likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Its a beautiful watch and the family history makes it even better. To think someone wore that watch for 40 years and it still looks so new. Very few things today are made to last more than a few months!
    Concretecow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by esdy_11192 View Post
    I tried to identify the movement for a couple of days now but without success. Can you give us the diameter of the watch movement? It would help a bit. The movement looks well finished.
    The diameter of the movement is 26 mm, just over 1 inch. Thanks for your efforts, I am grateful

In fact, my grandmother wore the watch after my grandfather died, up until her death in 1997. My mother loved the shape, slimness and simplicity of the design, so she wore it after my grandmother died until about 7 years ago, when it stopped working. It also went through WW II in North Africa, so including the war, it was in daily use for about 81 years give or take a couple of years. It seems to be working now, although it loses about 3-4 minutes a day. It just needs a service and clean. I shall wear it on special occasions, but not daily, as I think it deserves a rest
    thoth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    Its a beautiful watch and the family history makes it even better. To think someone wore that watch for 40 years and it still looks so new. Very few things today are made to last more than a few months!
    In fact, my grandmother wore the watch after my grandfather died, up until her death in 1997. My mother loved the shape, slimness and simplicity of the design, so she wore it after my grandmother died until about 7 years ago, when it stopped working. It also went through WW II in North Africa, so including the war, it was in daily use for about 81 years give or take a couple of years. It seems to be working now, although it loses about 3-4 minutes a day. It just needs a service and clean. I shall wear it on special occasions, but not daily, as I think it deserves a rest
    bloody watches likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Of course it is worth a lot, it is a item from a family member. This is a heirloom and worth spending the money for servicing. Pick a watchmaker that services pocket watches as this would have been considered a pocket watch movement originally(the first generation wrist watches for men were watches with small pocket watch movements in them)

9K (or 9ct in the UK) was entry level gold (much like 10k gold is in the USA) and would have been the lowest karat gold that the UK would have considered true gold. In the USA 9k is used in dental work.

The case is George Stockwell but the movement was probably a movement that could be bought at most watch shops in the UK at the time. Sometimes the watchmaker might engrave his name on it but a lot of them that I have seen don't have any markings on it.

The watch would have come on a leather strap that you opened up and attached it to the watch and then fastened the end down with a screw or clip. It will also work with a nylon pull through strap.
    Thanks for the advice about the watchmaker. I will get it serviced, and purchase a nice leather strap for it (I'm not keen on the stretchy metal one). I then intend to wear it on soecial occasions, so hopefully it will get another 20 or 30 years use . I think my grandfather would be pleased...
    Last edited by Concretecow; November 9th, 2017 at 00:12. Reason: addition of text

Having owned gold watches with gold wire lugs....the metal band will chew through the gold over time. There are leather bands that don't require gluing or clips that go on wire lug watches. They clip over the lug with a long section that hides how it attaches....but if you can find someone who will custom make a band and stitch while on the lugs in place...that would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Having owned gold watches with gold wire lugs....the metal band will chew through the gold over time. There are leather bands that don't require gluing or clips that go on wire lug watches. They clip over the lug with a long section that hides how it attaches....but if you can find someone who will custom make a band and stitch while on the lugs in place...that would be interesting.
    The clip-on bands are good, but your options are pretty limited, so don't overlook the possibility of gluing the ends over the fixed lugs using contact cement. Just follow directions, and it's very secure. You brush the cement onto both surfaces, let it "set-up" long enough for it to dry, and then clamp the two pieces together.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information