Identify: Vintage Zodiac Chronograph 7721?

Thread: Identify: Vintage Zodiac Chronograph 7721?

Question Identify: Vintage Zodiac Chronograph 7721?

Hi!

I just bought this watch on eBay and was wondering if anyone can help me identify it and maybe put a manufacturing date on it.

The case is marked on both sides between the lugs with 7721 on one side and 11xxxx on the other side. I guess the latter is the serial?

The movement is marked Zodiac LTD. Seventeen 17 Jewels Unadjusted. Swiss. 50. KXF.
    I can also see a small mark of some kind with 7730 underneath.

The seller said it was a Valjoux movement.

The caseback don't seem to be original as it is marked Clebar Watch Co. Inc. Swiss. 59x xxx. Also some kind of serial?

Was Clebar and Zodiac some how related back in the days?

And a last question. Is dangerous to wear this watch since it has quite some wear? I heard that you can develop allergies if the chrome is worn off. Is this true?

Is there some way to restore the case? How much would that normally cost?

Thanks!

Name:  DSC00516-1.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  60.6 KBName:  DSC00515-1.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  60.8 KBName:  DSC00512-1.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  60.4 KBName:  DSC00511-1.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  55.5 KBName:  DSC00510-1.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  61.7 KBName:  DSC00517-1.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  60.7 KB
    Bulova 4420101 (Royal Oak)
    Swiss Niga
    Omega Seamaster 600
    Mido Commander (x2)
    Seiko 66-9990
    Seiko 6138-0030 Kakume
    Seiko SKX007

Re: Identify: Vintage Zodiac Chronograph 7721?

The watch has a chrome plated case, and dates to the late 60's I'd say, as the movement, a Valjoux 7730, was only produced after 1966.

Having had a quick 'dig round', it seems Clebar watches were manufactured by Zodiac.....so I guess that's the link?!!

You could get the case replated, but I've no idea how much that would cost......best to check with a local watchmaker to get an idea!!

Thank you for your answers!

Ahh, so it is quite possible that someone misplaced the original caseback and found a Clebar caseback that matched since they were both manufactured by Zodiac from the beginning. Could this be right? The caseback and the case doesn't seem to be of the same age, or it could just be that they are made from different materials.

Do you have any idea if I can develop allergies from wearing this watch?

Do you think it is a shame to replate the case?

Thanks!
    Bulova 4420101 (Royal Oak)
    Swiss Niga
    Omega Seamaster 600
    Mido Commander (x2)
    Seiko 66-9990
    Seiko 6138-0030 Kakume
    Seiko SKX007

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lukas View Post
    Thank you for your answers!

Ahh, so it is quite possible that someone misplaced the original caseback and found a Clebar caseback that matched since they were both manufactured by Zodiac from the beginning. Could this be right? The caseback and the case doesn't seem to be of the same age, or it could just be that they are made from different materials.

Do you have any idea if I can develop allergies from wearing this watch?

Do you think it is a shame to replate the case?

Thanks!

I've seen, as many of the guys on here probably have, many watches built with parts of various other watches, then sold as being original so yes, maybe the caseback was damaged, or missing, and this one happened to fit!!

As for yours, well, I don't know what you paid for it, but if you really like the watch, and are unhappy with the condition of the case, then go for it, but you 'may' pay more for that, and a service, (recommended) than you did for the watch, but it will really improve the looks!!

As for allergies, well, I doubt it.....some people have intolerances to nickel, and some to additives in certain leather straps, but without knowing you, it's hard to say......wear it and find out I guess?!!

lukas,

I once had the same watch...white dial with black subs. It is probably the watch I miss the most. Although my caseback was different it did say Clebar on the inside. An old Sea Wolf I had did too. My guess is it is original.

Put me high on the list if you ever decide to sell or trade it.
    Excuse me...Does anyone have the time?

1971 Seiko 6139-60051970 seiko 6139-6031 Speedtimer1983 Seiko 7a28-70391992 Seiko 7a28-7049 1999 Citizen Blue Angels Navihawk1990 Citizen SolarTec Diver1971 Timex Automatic Diver2007 Casio WaveCeptor2005 Movado AT Diver2002 Citizen Eco-Drive WR 200 Diver

The caseback is probably stainless, and would likely not have been plated, which is normal. As far as dangerous to wear, I would say more hazardous to the watch, if it hasn't been serviced in awhile.

Thread Information