Identify Watch

Thread: Identify Watch

Identify Watch

Hello

I hope someone can help me identify this watch. I was told it belonged to my Great-Great-Great Grandfather. This is the only picture I have, as I’m not the holder of the watch.

Thanks

Alfred67
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Identify Watch

All I can say to you is it's a keywind and set watch. Do you know what is engraved on the case? It looks as if it might be an English made case.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hello

"engraved on the case" I assume you mean on the outside-- When I looked at the watch I didn't see anything on the outside.

On the inside (the part that lifts up) I remember it had a star of david symbol and eagle.

You can see the other engraving -- What does full jewelled mean ??
    it also say Awarded 4 ? (not sur that the word is) Metals does this mean anything??

Can you tell how old it is??

Alfred67

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I forget what 'fully jeweled' means, but I think it means that it has a certain number of jewels which would mean that all the crucial points of the movement have jewel-bearings on them.

As for age, the watch was probably made before the 1850s (After which, pocket watches started being made with crown-wind & crown-set movements). Also, I think this watch is missing its bow (The metal ring which the watch-chain clips to).
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Fully jeweled means all fast moving wheels in the watch have jewel bearings. This can mean 15 jewels (or more) in a lever escapement watch movement.
    The medals awarded usually means in some industrial fair or World's Fair competition. Lots of Swiss movements have those markings.
    And I was referring to the inside covers of the case.
    No I can't tell how old it is although you don't normally see keywinds after the 1880s.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

On the inside (the part that lifts up) I remember it had a star of david symbol and eagle mean anything?? Maybe make??

Alfred67

On the inside cover I remember it had a star of david symbol and eagle does mean anything?? Maybe make??

Alfred67

Might be the make of the case. Hard to tell.

Hello

I hope someone can help. I got the person who is holding the watch to write down what was on the inside of the watch. Where it says eagle (its a picture of an eagle)
    Looking for any infromation on it. How old, type etc.

Thanks
    alfred67
    Attached Images Attached Images

We really need to see the movement to identify it I'm afraid. Can't tell much from markings on the case.

Thread Information