Identifying a 70s German watch.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Identifying a 70s German watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identifying a 70s German watch.

Hello all,
    I recently found a watch that had belonged to my father-in-law. I know it's from the 70s as it can be seen on his wedding photo, and my mother-in-law remembers buying it for him before the wedding.
    Unfortunately, not much more is known... so I'm turning to you in hope of finding some answers.
    I've attached some pictures, but am currently reluctant to open up the watch to take photos of the movement.

Front only has the logo of a crown and 25 jewels Automatic. Weekday displayed in German (DONnerstag)

Back cover shows AUTOMATIC and ETANCHE CONTROLEE. The back cover also has four small indentations or holes, which I figure is to open it. I however do not have a tool which would be able to do so.

Strap is branded with "Expandro", followed by "Stainless Steel", "Made in W-Germany", "Pat.Pend."

Thanks and kind regards,
    Arkai
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Re: Identifying a 70s German watch.

Well, the only German company I know, with a crown logo at least a bit similar to the one, is Foresta of Pforzheim, but perhaps a picture of the movement and the inner side of the caseback will give some sort of lead on who made this watch. Well, the movement picture will be necessary anyway...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to the Vintage forum. The "DON" and German bracelet simply means that it was sold in Germany. The bracelet need not be original and there seems to be no "Made in [West] Germany" on the dial or case. Presuming that it actually was made by Foresta, this was a brand of Bernhard Förster whose company also made movements so they would have used one of their own. In that case, I would expect a Cal. 1197 inside:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Förster 1197

But I might be wrong and it could have been by a Swiss company and have a Swiss movement.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Well, the only German company I know, with a crown logo at least a bit similar to the one, is Foresta of Pforzheim, but perhaps a picture of the movement and the inner side of the caseback will give some sort of lead on who made this watch. Well, the movement picture will be necessary anyway...
    As you point out, it's only similar to the Foresta logo... I guess I'll have to check out the movement after all. I'm a bit uncertain how to go about opening up the back cover however. It seems to be a screw on cover with four notches. I'm guessing a 3-point watch opening tool will still suffice with the correct type of clamp/adapter?
    Name:  61hYOT21flL._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  59.0 KB

Arkai

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the Vintage forum. The "DON" and German bracelet simply means that it was sold in Germany. The bracelet need not be original and there seems to be no "Made in [West] Germany" on the dial or case. Presuming that it actually was made by Foresta, this was a brand of Bernhard Förster whose company also made movements so they would have used one of their own. In that case, I would expect a Cal. 1197 inside:

[Link removed]

But I might be wrong and it could have been by a Swiss company and have a Swiss movement.

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you!
    I'll try to provide a picture of the movement in the next couple of days.
    Arkai

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

You may wish to check carefully around the case back for an opening notch. Some backs with small notches on the back aren't actually screwed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    You may wish to check carefully around the case back for an opening notch. Some backs with small notches on the back aren't actually screwed on.
    I agree, they like to put those indentations there to fool us, sneeky b.... I wish I got $1 for every time I encounter a snap on caseback or a frontloader with quite some damage from people trying to open them.
    Last edited by Vintage1982; October 8th, 2015 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    I agree, they like to put those indentations there to fool us, sneeky b.... I wish I got $1 for every time I encounter a snap on caseback or a frontloader with quite some damage from people trying to open them.
    Will check when I get home. Thanks for pointing this out.

I suggest trying a friction ball first - much cheaper and safer. They work surprisingly often. This link is to a typical one, there are many other sellers, one perhaps closer to you, etc. The 'Jaxa' type tool you show is actually fairly low tolerance and the claws are prone to slip off with unfortunate consequences - I speak as an owner of what looks to be the same one!
    Last edited by Habitant; October 8th, 2015 at 12:51.

So after months of waiting, I finally got the watch back from the watch maker. Inside there's a PUW 1563 Movement, making this watch anywhere between 40 and 46 years old. There's no further indication as to who made the watch, other than the crown symbol on its face. Watch maker cleaned it and got the movement working properly again and I'm very happy with it. Kind of curious as to its worth, but oh well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information