Identifying Bulova

Thread: Identifying Bulova

Identifying Bulova

Hi all,

As a relative newcomer to watch collecting and to this forum I was hoping to pick some expert brains.

I picked up a very nice looking 1970 Bulova 23J Automatic the other day and was wondering if anyone can identify the watch any further i.e. style etc. Pic attached (I hope); it's got a gorgeous grey-blue face in immaculate condition and good crystal, just a few case markings where some fool has tried to prise it open! I've replaced the horrible old s/s bracelet (not original) with a nice dark blue stitched leather band and it looks very smart.

Apart from the year (N0), the case serial number is 335316. Not looked at the movement yet as I don't know how to open it up!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Identifying Bulova

I'm afraid we can't help you much further without a picture of the movement. The case serial number doesn't mean anything; for Bulovas the year of manufacture is about all that can be verified from the outside.
    An educated guess from the Ranfft movement archive would be that it's one of the Bulova 11ALA family of movements, but can't be sure without a photo.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Re: Identifying Bulova

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    I'm afraid we can't help you much further without a picture of the movement. The case serial number doesn't mean anything; for Bulovas the year of manufacture is about all that can be verified from the outside.
    An educated guess from the Ranfft movement archive would be that it's one of the Bulova 11ALA family of movements, but can't be sure without a photo.
    Ray,

Thanks, I suspected that might be the answer.

Regards,

Mike :thanks

Thread Information