Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

Thread: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11

    Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Hello, folks.

    My granddad has long since passed away and the watch bug bit me fairly recently, so I asked my grandma if he had ever had any watches. With some digging, my grandma found some cool, old watches including a Gruen Veri-Thin, which was her Christmas present to him--engraved "12/25/'45." Among the watches was a Benrus that I can't identify. I took some pictures, and I was hoping someone might know something about it. Also, how hard are parts to come by for repairs? Any recommendations on a watchmaker to get it running again? Thanks!

    Name:  6477665411_250b417aec_z.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  116.6 KB

    Name:  6477668277_764842b900_z.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  215.5 KB

  2. #2
    Member Paleotime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    2,743

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Nice watch with a clean looking movement. Parts availability for that age of Benrus is pretty good. Any real watchmaker should not have any trouble servicing it. Don't know where you are located so it makes a specific recommendation difficult. Hope you will post more pics once it is cleaned up.

  3. #3
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Yes - the movement is based on the ETA 1281 - see: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Benrus DN2F (ETA 1281)

    If it needs parts,I would imagine they shouldn't be too difficult to source. Nice watch - glad you're going to have it taken care of.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Thanks for the quick response!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Nice watch with a clean looking movement. Parts availability for that age of Benrus is pretty good. Any real watchmaker should not have any trouble servicing it. Don't know where you are located so it makes a specific recommendation difficult. Hope you will post more pics once it is cleaned up.
    I live in Orlando, FL. (I forgot that wasn't listed in my profile. ) I will be sure to post some pics once I get the work done. The Gruen is in nice shape, too. I might have to get some pics of that as well. I haven't open the case on that one, though. I spoke to a local watch shop and was told refurbishing would be in the neighborhood of $250 to clean everything, oil it, and clean up the case. The movement is loose in the case, so I'm not sure if there's more damage that would have to be taken care of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Yes - the movement is based on the ETA 1281 - see: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Benrus DN2F (ETA 1281)

    If it needs parts,I would imagine they shouldn't be too difficult to source. Nice watch - glad you're going to have it taken care of.
    Thanks for the link and the info. Seems like its cerca 1960, eh? Interesting. Can you find instruction manuals for them--or at least a guide how to set and wind those? I see on that site that it says, "The features and technical data were mostly taken from movements, which were investigated on the occasion of sale, service, or repair. As the accordant watches are no longer available, further data can't be given on request."

    It is nice to run into folks who appreciate restoring and repairing stuff. So much of today's technology is disposable, which really annoys me. Plus, it is cool to have a watch my granddad wore.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    79

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    $250 seem to much to clean and oil it. Also parts for it (if any is needed ) dosent seem to be that hard find. Yes the stuff that made today wont last more that a few years
    as I like to say " A classic never dies "
    Bond ... James Bond

  7. #6
    Member TheJohnP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Quote Originally Posted by yugioh1776 View Post
    $250 seem to much to clean and oil it. Also parts for it (if any is needed ) dosent seem to be that hard find. Yes the stuff that made today wont last more that a few years
    as I like to say " A classic never dies "
    Ask to see if they do the work in house. That kind of price makes me wonder if they send out their watches for the servicing and pass the costs onto the customers.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

  8. #7
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Quote Originally Posted by General_Tso View Post
    Thanks for the link and the info. Seems like its cerca 1960, eh? Interesting. Can you find instruction manuals for them--or at least a guide how to set and wind those?
    You're welcome. They all set and wind the same way - pull the crown out to set, push in to wind, wind till you feel resistance.

    Afaik, Doxa were a pretty average brand - fine, but nothing special. Their current range of dive watches and high marketing spend means that it is a well-recognized brand.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

  9. #8
    Member Paleotime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    2,743

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Sorry I can't help with a recommendation on a Florida watchmaker. I would agree with the others $250 is awful high for a simple mechanical watch. There have been some threads about the different prices WUS members pay around the country. That may zero you in on a typical local price.

    Gruens of the age you mention are very nice watches.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11

    Re: Identifying My Granddad's Benrus

    Quote Originally Posted by yugioh1776 View Post
    $250 seem to much to clean and oil it. Also parts for it (if any is needed ) dosent seem to be that hard find. Yes the stuff that made today wont last more that a few years
    as I like to say " A classic never dies "
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJohnP View Post
    Ask to see if they do the work in house. That kind of price makes me wonder if they send out their watches for the servicing and pass the costs onto the customers.
    Thanks for the heads-up. That's good info.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    You're welcome. They all set and wind the same way - pull the crown out to set, push in to wind, wind till you feel resistance.

    Afaik, Doxa were a pretty average brand - fine, but nothing special. Their current range of dive watches and high marketing spend means that it is a well-recognized brand.
    Thanks! This is my first watch where you had to manually wind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Sorry I can't help with a recommendation on a Florida watchmaker. I would agree with the others $250 is awful high for a simple mechanical watch. There have been some threads about the different prices WUS members pay around the country. That may zero you in on a typical local price.

    Gruens of the age you mention are very nice watches.
    Thanks anyway. I appreciate it. I'll have to look around the forum to get a better idea of the cost of things. I'll try to post a picture of the Gruen today; it is a cool watch, but the history is cooler for me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •