If you had the choice between these 2 pocket watches...

Thread: If you had the choice between these 2 pocket watches...

If you had the choice between these 2 pocket watches...

Im getting a traditional family wedding gift of one of my great-grandfathers pocket watches, which would you choose if it was up to you. Please try to view the pictures first as these are estimates, thank you in advance.

1)I have been told its a 1927 Elgin they have it written down that it is all gold(grandmothers handwritting) also L in her writting

2)Hamiliton 1946 again not sure but it says white gold and platnium and an R on the note

From my research the Hamiliton is worth much more which is surprising for obvious reasons to the layman of pocket watches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: If you had the choice between these 2 pocket watches...

I'd go with the Hamilton myself.

stuffler,mike

Hi Whurst,

welcome to Watchuseek and welcome to the Public Forum as well. I moved your question to the right forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really doubt anyone here will say anything other than the Hamilton... To place it in perspective, Patek is the Swiss version of Hamilton, but not generally as good.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The Hamilton with the bar over crown case.It is a 992B movement?

If I picked between the two, I'd say I'd take the Elgin, but Hamilton has a reputation for making good-quality watches.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Id like to see the movements before deciding but on the present evidence the Hamilton is a no brainer. Itś like choosing an Omega or a Bulova.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Confused Re: If you had the choice between these 2 pocket watches...

Not to sound bad but I am looking for a)value b)looks
    if one is worth just a little bit more I want the one that looks better however if one is worth sig more than another one than that is the one I want. I'm not selling it, just compare it to the pretty coin that is worth $10 vs the ugly dd wheat penny that is worth 1000

To be completely honest, worth and value don't mean much. What a watch is worth is generally decided by what the case is made of, what kind of movement the watch has, what kind of shape it's in, and whether or not it works and keeps time. They're very subjective terms.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Usually I'd agree that a Hamilton is a better watch than an Elgin, but I have found that Elgin BW Raymonds RR standard watches are very good timekeepers. Hamiltons, though do have a higher status.

My observation of the Hamilton is that it is a "Franken watch". The watch is cased in a number 2 bar over crown case, the stereotypical Hamilton RR case, but the dial and hands appear to be from a 2974B Naval Comparing watch. The Comparing watch should be in a base metal silver colored case.
    If I'm correct the Hammie has little collector interest.

We need close-up pictures of the movements to give a definitive answer.

Thread Information