Illinois Bunn Pocketwatch Identification
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By laydback81
  • 1 Post By RON in PA

Thread: Illinois Bunn Pocketwatch Identification

Illinois Bunn Pocketwatch Identification

I've been looking online at different serial number identification websites and finding different information. One site says that the 3,4**,*** were manufactured in 1919 and the 3,6**,*** were manufactured in 1920. Then I found an identification site that showed a rendering of the movement to be a model 6, which is said to be manufactured in 1925. So I'm a bit perplexed on what it may be. Any help would be graciousName:  20170215_213451_HDR.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.62 MBName:  20170215_213346.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  1.68 MBName:  20170215_213555_HDR.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.71 MB. I'm new here and trying to learn how to be a good post-er. Thanks for any advice or help you can provide.
    pmwas likes this.

Re: Illinois Bunn Pocketwatch Identification

1919, Model 11, lever set 19 jewel Bunn. Data from Meggers and Ehrhardt's Illinois book. Probably the best source of info on Illinois watches.
    Ben_hutcherson likes this.

Hello! While I was looking your watch up, RON beat me to it! To confirm: it's a 16size, 19 jewel, Model 11. Looks to date from 1919. Yours looks to be in good shape, too. A fine watch. Michael.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Indeed, a Model 11.

The 19-jewel Bunns are an underappreciated species of Illinois watches. Two of the jewels are in the motor barrel, and jeweled motor barrels are uncommon.

A charming watch!
    There is something more to the art of watchmaking and repairing than that of merely assembling a watch and making it 'tick.'
    ---Walter Kleinlein, Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches (1940)

Member, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

My blog about precision timing: AdjustingVintageWatches.com

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The other folks have correctly identified it as a model 11.

I'm rather a fan of Bunn grade watches. They do not have the "cachet" of Bunn Specials but are finished every bit as nicely and tend to be excellent timekeepers. As a nice bonus, the production figures on Bunns tend to be QUITE low compared to a Bunn Special of the same age/model.

Although your case isn't original, your watch looks really nice overall. The only thing I can find to complain about is the hairline on the dial at around 53 minutes, but it's faint and looks to present quite well.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thank you everyone for your input, it really helps. I am glad I was able to identify it feel better about the research I was doing. I clearly have a lot more to learn especially about where the jewels are and I find that very intriguing, so thank you for that Paul_S. I received the watch from my grandfather in working order. He was worked for the railroad for 60 years and his uncle whose owned the watch before him was a conductor for decades as well. I was eager to keep it in working order and had it serviced and had the cover replaced and forgot to ask them to send me the original as it was worn but original. I've had it a couple of weeks now and doubt they still have it. Kind of makes me sad I didn't think this through to keep the original. Angry at myself on that one. I just wanted to make sure it would last another 100 years and didn't want it breaking in my possession. Hind sight is 20/20.

Thread Information