Illinois junker surprise ...

Thread: Illinois junker surprise ...

Illinois junker surprise ...

Well, I got this lot of 4 watches o eBay and paid 13.50 each for them. One was a rigid bow "Illinois" watch with a coat of arms and a peacock on the back of it that I liked the looks of. I opened it up and the movement is not am Illinois at all ... but a 21 jewel Burlington, adjusted 8 positions, double roller. That's the good news. The bad news is that the mainspring is shot, as well as the balance shaft.

I think its worth fixing though.

JDT

Re: Illinois junker surprise ...

Nice...Love it when a bargain turns out. Any chance of a picture or two?

I'll take some of the movement later. I had this one saved from the seller's listing.

JDT
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Most Burlington movements are private labels for Illinois. They are typically seen in 12 and 16 size, and in 19 and 21 jewels.

Generally one expects to see a Burlington dial on them. An Illinois dial will fit(the foot positions are the same) and they are commonly fitted if the original is damaged.

The original cases were generally signed "Burlington."

I'd be curious to see movement photos.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I'll post some pictures a little later. The case is indeed marked Burlington 20 years, and is white gold filled.

JDT

This is the best I can do for right now. I thought it said "8 positions" ... it says adjusted "temp and position" ... oops. I'll take better ones Looks like too much light in this shot. Maybe I need to use some kind of indirect light source.

JDT

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Looks like you have what may well be an original case. You just need to find a Burlington dial and you'll have the complete package. These are interesting in that they are probably one of the easiest to locate American triple-signed private labels(triple signed because they are signed on the case, dial, and movement).

Thanks also for clarifying the positional marking-I don't recall ever seeing one marked for any number of positions.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

The case has a pretty serious bump at around 10 0'clock. I'm going to make a fixture to hold it and I'll make a series of cauls to re-shape that area. It's lead a hard life, and the bezel and crystal are gone too. I imagine that if I can restore the back, a bezel from an Illinois case would work. I actually have a chrome one....but yuk ... I hate chrome anything. I'll probably seek a donor junker for the missing case parts. I took apart a grade 610 elgin 16s and succesfully replaced a main spring, but this looks like too many parts for me to be messing with at this stage of the game. If I can fins all of the missing components, this one may go to a real jeweler. Then again, it might take so long to find those parts that I will have become more skilled and will be able to handle the main spring and balance issues on it myself.

JDT

Thread Information