Illinois Sangamo

Thread: Illinois Sangamo

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Illinois Sangamo

The Sangamo has become one of my favorite grades of Illinois watch. At the time, this was the second highest grade watch Illinois made-behind the 189, and is thoroughly well finished throughout.

There are a whole bunch of variations in these, including several different damaskeen patterns and several different marking variations.

I've managed to put together a small collection of three Sangamos covering three of the more common variations. This collection is by no means complete, but none-the-less I think is representative of some of the more variations. My three include the 23j "wavy stripe" two tone pattern, a 21j bright spot "adjusted" version, and a 21j "Adjusted 6 positions" version.

I also show the dials, which I believe to be correct for all three watches at their respective serial ranges. Please note that there are quite a few subtle differences in the styles both of the numerals and the signatures of these dials. Also please note that the hands on the bottom center watch are clearly incorrect :)

Name:  IMG_2941.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  899.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2936.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  761.1 KB
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: Illinois Sangamo

Name:  documents2 214.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  775.1 KBName:  documents2 232.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  602.0 KBNice to see these with good descriptions. I have one. I think from my superficial appearance judgement the movement makes similar ones from the big 3 competitors look crude by comparison.
    I had a 1.3 million one like this not marked Sangamo that sold for high price years ago. Wondered why? Is Sangamo an American indian name?
    Last edited by artb; September 5th, 2012 at 13:20.

Another watch I wish I hadn't sold! I had a 23j one, with the 'bright spot' damaskeening, kinda like artb's.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Is Sangamo an American indian name?
    I believe it is derived from the word Sangamon. A Pottawatomie word and the name of the river in Springfield, IL.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thread Information