Illinois Springfield pocket watch

Thread: Illinois Springfield pocket watch

Illinois Springfield pocket watch

I have an old IL Springfield pocket watch that was my grandfathers. I have been trying off and on for several years to get info on it since it has a shape I've never seen before. I have taken it to 2 different places that advertise they appraise pocket watches but neither place has been able to find a watch that is even close to the shape, can anybody help me? I will list everything I know:

Inside the back cover it says 14 K Gold Filled, Wadsworth Quality, Shape Patent 12.9.24 and has the number 7091219

Inside the watch on the gears it has Illinois Springfield Watch Company, 25 Jewels, Adjusted 6 Positions, 4477921, Motor Barrel

Any help I could get would be much appreciated

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Illinois Springfield pocket watch

At least according to the Ehrhardt/Meggers Illinois Watch Company Encyclopedia, what you have is a grade 410.

These are very high grade 12 size dress watches, equivalent(or maybe superior in quality) to the larger 16 size Sangamo Special. By the way, it should be 23j and not 25j. Illinois did not, to my knowledge make a 25j watch although they did make 24 and 26 jewel watches.

If you could post a picture of it, I could probably give you some further details.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; December 27th, 2012 at 20:27.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: Illinois Springfield pocket watch

Name:  Watch3.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  42.8 KBName:  Watch 1.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  42.8 KB

Here are 2 photos, maybe that will help. Thank You!

Thread Information