I'm Freddie - Fly Me
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I'm Freddie - Fly Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm Freddie - Fly Me

I have always liked IWC watches, they smack of quality IMO. Ashamedly, i know very little about them.
    Recently i stumbled across this one in an auction, mechanical wind, described as "goldtone". Good news was when it turned up, it was solid 9ct gold not gold tone and working perfectly Engraved on the back is "Freddie love Tutin 6/8/71" It reputedly belonged to Sir Freddie Laker (flamboyant UK pioneer of cheap airline travel and owner of Laker Airways) 6th aug was Freddies birthday, in 1971 he would have been 49 years old. I managed to contact a very helpful former business partner and friend of Sir Freddies in the US, trying to find out who "Tutin" was. He didnt actually know but said the name must have meant something to Freddie because he had a large yacht berthed in Majorca named "Tutinella". I have also managed to contact Freddies son- Freddie Jr, who obviously remembers the yacht but doesnt know the significance of the name. Freddie Jr has promised to find out and let me know. I've sent the case number, movement number etc to IWC to see if they can confirm the manufacture date etc-and thats as far as i've got for now. Anybody else have watches owned by a celebrity or famous person ??

Last edited by gjlelec; October 17th, 2008 at 16:51.

Re: I'm Freddie - Fly Me

See this thread.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ghlight=tennis

That is a fabulous find - a really nice watch.

BTW, not everyone here will know who Freddie Laker was.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I certainly remember Sir Freddie and I agree it's a fabulous watch. We have had some threads in here about watches of sports personalities and military types but I think this is the first business "celebrity watch" we've had. Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great find and follow on effort to build the provenance.

Laker used to fly DC-10s between Gatwick and JFK. When you took flights in the winter, you often got an entire center row of 5 seats to yourself... put up all the armrests and you could make a bed and catch some decent zzzz's!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks for pointing that out Marrick, it never occured to me that some people had never heard of Freddie Laker
    Regarding celebrity watches, a friend owns what in the LED collecting world is considered a grail watch, a mega rare solid 18ct gold Pulsar P1. The icing is this one belonged to Yul Brynner

Here a pic of Sir Freddie Laker

I received the "extract from the ledger" from IWC today regarding this watch. It confirms the case, movement etc are correct and that the watch was purchased on Feb 8th 1971 at IWCs London agent. IWC can supply this information for any watch produced by them since 1885 apparently Still got no further finding the mysterious "Tutin" though

Another piece of info, adding to the history of the watch. Key 117 stamp on the case back indicates that the case was made by Guillod Gunther SA of La Chaux-de-Fonds.

Gunther were, apparently, a signifuicant IWC case maker of the time.

Cheers

Desmond

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gjlelec View Post
    I received the "extract from the ledger" from IWC today regarding this watch. It confirms the case, movement etc are correct and that the watch was purchased on Feb 8th 1971 at IWCs London agent. IWC can supply this information for any watch produced by them since 1885 apparently Still got no further finding the mysterious "Tutin" though

Thanks so much for the info Desmond, it all helps :thanks

I received an email from Freddie Lakers son regarding the elusive "Tutin" He believes it to be Dame Dorothy Tutin- UK actress. What is a little strange though is that exactly 30 years later 6th Aug was the date Dorothy Tutin died !!

Do you still have this watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information