IMHOF movement find.......??

Thread: IMHOF movement find.......??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RTB

IMHOF movement find.......??

G'day all, got another one that's hard to find much on. I've been looking on & off for over a week since it arrived with the Thiel alarm I brought to rescue. It got my interest because it was jeweled front & back( 15j ).
    The tip of the balance shaft is broken off inside the bridges jewel. I wasn't sure until I finally took it off today to see what was wrong, out of desperation & thinking I'll just part it out :(
    But there it was hidden by the the balance wheel & bridge, IMHOF :)

The balance shaft is one of the easy straight ones to make that just press in I think(no expert), balance & spring are OK.
    How rare are these or am I just not looking in the right places ;)
    It has a seconds pin/shaft that's intact. But there is a driver gear missing on the front for one of the main hands, is it worth trying to save this do you think ?

I've found connection & referrence to....Arthur Manufacture de pendulettes et reveils (to USA) La-Chaux-de-Fonds. In the forum lists. As well as a lot of alarm clocks on the web, but no pocket watchs so far. This is approx. 43mm dia. dial/face & 42mm dia. back.

Thanks for looking....Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by RTB; July 13th, 2013 at 09:24.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: IMHOF movement find.......??

Is this an 8-day movement?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

RTB

Hi Chascomm,..... yes their very similar for sure, as I've been finding out this evening :) Thank-you.
    I haven't seen one yet with the seconds hand at the 6 position, the ones I'm seeing are marked differently too on the back 3/4 plate, so they maybe newer models. I have no idea if the size is the same, biggest problem with comparing web photos ;)
    I have found more on Arthur Imhof though, he started Helveco in 1939 & I beleive is still going.
    I have seen a bad add photo of a desk clock that may have a seconds hand, but I'm still looking for a better picture of one......later mate :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That movement has some general resemblance to the AS. cal 690 clock movement pictured toward the bottom of this article.

Cyma Clocks

RTB

Grumby992...Links being blocked.

Still at a loss after many hours of hunting :)
    Only thing I'm finding is maybe the pin/shaft I thought was for a seconds hand may have been for a date/day dial, but even then most of the desk type clocks they do also have rear wind & sets of one kind or another with the give away shaft extensions etc. on the movements. & the F/S A/R adjustment levers are different too in most cases.
    Could it have been an early automobile/dash type clock, some of those were small ? Those & the travel clocks were bottom winds so the pin/shaft then would have been at the '12' position ;)
    Looking....Looking :) :)

Nothing in FLUME
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

RTB

Thanks for looking HOROLOGIST007 :)

I keep bumping into "lever escape C244" & some are showing a date & day dial a 6 position, but all the serial numbers are in the 6 & 7 digits so this movement must be early.
    On ebay at present there's a 8 day travel clock that maybe similar & is Imhof, but no pic of the movement. It's a 'R.H.Macy & Co." marked dial but no extra date etc. & the case # is 7 digits again.

I have no option to delete my posts, so this is here.

That malware warning on Chrome is rubbish. IE opens the clock article fine.

Last edited by Gumby992; July 15th, 2013 at 13:57.

OK, I'll try posting this image again, along with the relevant paragraph from that clock article by Rob B:

"The movement shown below is an AS690 (A.Schild) 19 ligne (42mm or 16 size) movement with a thickness of 8.75mm. It has 13 jewels and like the Cyma, beats at 18,000 bph. It is very well finished, even more so than the Cyma, with all steel parts highly polished, and plates polished and anglaged. The finish is as good as a fine watch movement. The strange-looking curved armed resting on the top balance cap jewel looks similar to the Cymaflex shock absorber, but in fact it is merely a spring holding down the cap jewel, curved to allow clearance around the regulator. I obtained this as a NOS movement from my materials supplier, so I have no idea what the clocks looked like that housed these movements. It has the import code AXZ on the balance bridge, which is the code for Benrus."

RTB

Thanks for your time Gumby992, close,..... bridge is different they have that extra gear on the middle one of the three gears too. That's like the movement in the "Normis" Ford Cadillac after-market 8 day dash clock I saw .....& (Silly me)...the "Macy" on ebay 'does' have movement pic & it looks like that one too ;)
    I wondered what the stamp on it's bridge was(HXM)
    Been looking at so many they are starting to BLURRRRR :)

Last edited by RTB; July 15th, 2013 at 14:39.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information